Intel lowering chip prices

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by aai420, Jul 10, 2007.

1. aai420 macrumors newbie

Hey everyone,

I am about to leave home for medical school and wanted to buy a macbook or macbook pro this week (first time mac buyer). A friend of mine told me Intel was lowering the prices on their chips around july 22nd(not sure) and it would be about 200 dollars retail in savings for the current macbook chipset. I leave for school on the 20th to a large city I have never lived in before so having a computer as soon as I got there would help.

My question is, if i get a macbook now and they lower the price say 3 weeks from now, can i get store credit/money back on the computer? Or might apple upgrade the chips and keep prices the same?

Thanks for any help.

2. xUKHCx Administrator emeritus

xUKHCx

If intel do lower their prices then you wont see it reflected in apple prices, this is historically what has happened.

Also if apple did lower their prices chances are you won't get store credit or whatever.

So the chance of both happening are basically zero.

3. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

No they wouldn't. Well, not after 3 weeks. If it was within 10 days, then they would.

I really don't believe that Apple will lower the price of the MacBook now. They tend to drop the prices of computers when they update them. Since the MacBooks just got updated, I see little reason why Apple would lower the price. They usually don't, so I'm just going by their track record.

Enjoy your new MacBook, and make sure you take advantage of the student discount. :)

4. aai420 thread starter macrumors newbie

5. wako macrumors 65816

historically? Apple only made the switch just barely more than a year ago :p

but yeah, they wouldnt

6. xUKHCx Administrator emeritus

xUKHCx

Yes and in that year there have been multiple reductions in prices in chips, IBM also changed the prices of their chips

7. Gandhi macrumors regular

Apple does not lower prices when component prices drop. What they historically have done is upgrade the components so that you get a bit more for the same price. For example, bump the processor speeds (like the Macbooks in May), move to Santa Rosa (like the Macbook Pros in June), or up the RAM (which has happened since the Intel switch - MBPs came with 512 mb, then 1 gig, and now 2 gig standard).

So buy the computer when you need it. Rest assured, you won't see the lower component prices reflected in the sales prices, ever.