Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MWPULSE

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Dec 27, 2008
London
Hey everyone,
I have been having some problems recently with my 06 mac mini that i got in august time its the intel one with GMA950 and a superdrive (i think!) lol its the mashita UJ-846 one. Thats what system profiler says at least lol. :)

Anyways enough about that, for a while now, it wont accept DVDs or CDs in the drive. I have tried to boot off the install DVD and do hardware test, but the DVD ejected. and it just booted straight into the OS..

Is it time to get a new DVD drive? i got a lacie D2 a coupla years back to help with burning DVDs, cos it wouldnt burn DVDs neither, whether thats cos its the superdrive or cos it was failing, i dont know. At the time i searched about and it seemed like it was a DVD drive that was prone to failing on people.

Is there anything i can do to test, n see how busted this bad boy actually is??

Its not essential that i need it working as i use the other DVD drive when required. But if i did want to install SL on it, that could be a bit problematic..

Cheers in advance

PTP

BlueRevolution

macrumors 603
Jul 26, 2004
Montreal, QC
Sounds like the drive is gone, yeah. If you have another Intel Mac you should be able to boot the Mini to FireWire disk mode to install Snow Leopard.

MWPULSE

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Dec 27, 2008
London
yea i have a macbook pro noon unibody. I was intending to gut the mini (new RAM, HDD, i will add a new DVD drive to the list lol)

Further question, any recommendations on super/combodrives for that machine.

(also which is the better one, super drive or combo, i always forget lol!)

Cheers for your help

The machine isnt under applecare, which is a bit of a pain

PTP

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.