intel macbook onboard soundcard

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by a-side reject, Nov 17, 2007.

1. a-side reject macrumors newbie

Hi there,

Anyone know where I can find specs on the intel macbook's on board soundcard? I use my computer for audio, ie. Cubase Studio 4 and Reason 3, and when I am home I have it hooked up to my Presonus Firepod via firewire.
    When I go on the road I'd like to keep it as light as possible. I don't plan on doing any recording, just editing, so I am curious to know about the specs for my internal audio card, however, I have found it very difficult to find any info on this...do I have to check out intel?...Also, when I am in my music software I have three choices of Built-in Audio, all with different latencies....I believe channel 1 also includes the built-in mic. Can anyone inform me of where I can find more info on this....I've searched hard, but I don't believe I know the good places to look :(.
    Any help here would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers,

aside.

2. John01021988 macrumors 6502

Well, under Mac OS X, it does not says which soundboard the macbook is using, but under Windows, I believe it said Sigma Tel if I am not wrong.

3. a-side reject thread starter macrumors newbie

4. scottlinux macrumors 6502a

scottlinux

5. Sesshi macrumors G3

Sesshi

It isn't anything special. I forget what was on the Macbook (and undoubtedly it would have changed with the SR revision) but will be the usual sub-par "Intel HD audio" laptop audio common to other brands of notebook.

Some Sigmatel chipsets are marginally better than some Realtek chipsets, but all of them are all roughly in the same class audiowise. I have yet to find laptop audio (analog output) that I'm prepared to use for anything other than the odd podcast listening.

You could invest in a small USB DAC.

6. a-side reject thread starter macrumors newbie

Yes! thanks guys, I believe the tech docs explain a lot, that really helps!!...