Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

iToaster

macrumors 68000
May 3, 2007
In front of my MacBook Pro
Nope, but it reminds me of how the Power Mac G5s and how they have a similar component. In all honesty, there isn't a lot to look at inside the computer, unless you want to watch the fans spin or something... but this way I wouldn't have to take off the side door if I did.

pprior

macrumors 65816
Aug 1, 2007
Oh, man, PuLEEEze do not get the LED fan/clear case hot rod boys going on macs. Mac computers are beautiful just the way they are. The teen boy phenomenon of adding gaudy unneeded "custom" pieces while horrid on normal PC computers, is obscene on a Mac.

mchalebk

macrumors 6502a
Feb 4, 2008
I can think of more than one reason why this is a silly idea, but the one I'd be most concerned with is shielding. I could be wrong, but I suspect that the metal case does more than cover the insides of a MacPro. I suspect that it is also designed to provide some shielding to prevent EMI. If you replaced a large metal piece of the case with plastic, you would defeat this.

I also cannot think of any reason to pay even $1 for something like this even if there was no technical issues.

xgman

macrumors 603
Aug 6, 2007
It seems to me that if you were going to go to all that trouble why not use something with perforated vents for some practical purpose while you were at it?

gatesareus

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 20, 2008
Well, I ordered one for $39.95 and love it. Now the guy is selling them for $19.95 http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=220278638199
It just looks cool to see the inside of the MacPro. As for cooling, the MacPro seems to be a sealed unit and you would not want to interfere with the internal cooling system by putting vents in the cover???? It would also be very easy to switch the aluminum frame back over to the factory side panel if I ever have to take it in for service...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.