Become a MacRumors Supporter for $25/year with no ads, private forums, and more!

Intel Macs - More USB, Still with Firewire?

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001
50,424
11,812

Lacero

macrumors 604
Jan 20, 2005
6,639
2
Of course!

Firewire is still required to connect with digital camcorders and external firewire drives! Pro mobile video editors would storm Apple HQ if they decided to drop firewire support from Intel laptops.

If the talk is about dropping FW from the iBook, then I guess that would be ok.
 
Comment

rspeaker

macrumors 6502
Jan 1, 2006
259
4
I'm no pro user, but Firewire... the only reason I care about it is because Apple's really fought hard for it. They've already stopped shipping iPods with Firewire cables, and if money allows for one of the new iMacs with built-in iSight, well, I won't need Firewire anymore. I say it's a shame; it kept Apple a little different. But, for the consumer line, it doesn't seem to make too much sense to keep it around. But I bet they will, if only one port.
 
Comment

ZildjianKX

macrumors 68000
May 18, 2003
1,610
0
What about "Firewire Target Disk Mode?" That is like the coolest thing... unless they make it work with USB, unless it already does.
 
Comment

plastique45

macrumors regular
Jan 10, 2005
106
0
1- Macosxrumors.com just make up stuff as they go. Stop reprinting what they write.

2- 1 Firewire port is what's currently offered on the PowerBook, this is nothing new. One of FireWire's greatest asset is that you need only 1 port as all devices are hub-able.

3- FireWire is NECESSARY. Without it, no video editing (err, iMovie, Final Cutm hello? Apple is king here!). Also, you can boot off of a FireWire drive, you can connect 2 Macs in target disk mode to transfer file in a super easy way (that's what Apple use in Tiger when you launch a new Mac for the first time!).

Also, it's despite what the on paper numbers claimed FW400 is faster than USB2.0, to say nothing of FW800 which allows you to run uncompressed HD from an external drive (1 stream) in real time!

All these things make FireWire far.... FAR superior to USB2.
 
Comment

mulletman13

macrumors 6502a
Jul 1, 2004
505
0
Los Angeles.
D'oh, I hope they have a FireWire port, such a better technology there, and besides, it has a better name :)

One FW800 port would be excellent though :D... on the Pro line, but FW400 would be just fine on a consumer computer.
 
Comment

After G

macrumors 68000
Aug 27, 2003
1,583
1
California
If the pro computers only come with FW800, I hope they include a downconverter to FW400. I have a bunch of FW400 devices and no FW800 devices. Maybe they'll have both, which is even more awesome.
 
Comment

Bastich

macrumors regular
Jul 22, 2002
100
0
And don't forget about all those Firewire iPods still floating around out there. Remember those? If thousands of people bought a brand new MacIntel only to find out it's incompatible with their iPod, there would be hell to pay. No, Apple will have to wait a couple years yet before pulling the old forced-upgrade trick.

:cool:
 
Comment

Loge

macrumors 68030
Jun 24, 2004
2,711
1,178
England
plastique45 said:
2- 1 Firewire port is what's currently offered on the PowerBook, this is nothing new. One of FireWire's greatest asset is that you need only 1 port as all devices are hub-able.

Current Powerbooks have two Firewire ports, one 400 and one 800. I hope that this continues on the Intel line.
 
Comment

Voidness

macrumors 6502a
Aug 2, 2005
847
65
Null
Lacero said:
If the talk is about dropping FW from the iBook, then I guess that would be ok.
How is that ok? You don't need to be a pro user to need Firewire. iMovie needs Firewire, it ships on all Macs, and is consumer oriented.
 
Comment

kenzbud

macrumors member
Oct 21, 2005
78
0
They better keep Firewire.. My Lacie devices all use Firewire.... I prefer Firewire over USB 2.0
 
Comment

rockandrule

macrumors 6502
Aug 3, 2004
448
0
Jacksonville, FL
What are you people talking about? Pros have more than one FireWire port on them to begin with! Apple won't discontinue FireWire. The Movie industry just reconfirmed it's usage. Apple has put too much into FireWire to get rid of it. Stop fretting about such an asinine idea.
 
Comment

Bad Beaver

macrumors regular
Nov 27, 2003
115
0
rockandrule said:
What are you people talking about? Pros have more than one FireWire port on them to begin with! Apple won't discontinue FireWire. The Movie industry just reconfirmed it's usage. Apple has put too much into FireWire to get rid of it. Stop fretting about such an asinine idea.

Thanks, I can't hear about this anymore :rolleyes:
 
Comment

shadowmoses

macrumors 68000
Mar 6, 2005
1,821
0
Im sure all mac's will retain firewire in spite of intel, i mean what is the point of dropping firewire its of no benefit to either apple or the consumer, they should at least keep 1 firewire slot on every new intel mac,

Shadow
 
Comment

johnnyjibbs

macrumors 68030
Sep 18, 2003
2,959
119
London, UK
The more I think about it, the more I think this is complete tosh. I mean, with iMovie and iChat needing Firewire to work (iChat requires Firewire for video out of the box) and the iSight only working via Firewire, dropping Firewire would be like first annoucning the G5 and then making the next OS upgrade G5-only. It simply doesn't make sense.

We all know that Firewire is much better than USB2. Unfrotunately, USB2 is the one that has been fully embraced.
 
Comment

LimeiBook86

macrumors 604
May 4, 2002
7,995
12
Go Vegan
Lacero said:
Firewire is still required to connect with digital camcorders and external firewire drives! Pro mobile video editors would storm Apple HQ if they decided to drop firewire support from Intel laptops.
Exactly! Your 100% correct, if Apple dropped FireWire in either some or all of their models it would be like shooting themselves in the foot. This is the last thing they need right now, and I don't think we'll have to worry about this...although...we can never be too sure unfortunately. :eek:
 
Comment

Peace

Cancelled
Apr 1, 2005
19,546
4,552
Space The Only Frontier
I dont know WHO first came up with the idea that Apple was ending Firewire.Thats about the dumbest thing out..
iSight is firewire.Almost ALL external HD's are firewire.Almost ALL Camcorders are firewire..
If Apple stopped putting firewire in ANY machine it would be the most idiotic move EVER.
Give Apple some credit and stop believing all this stuff about them ending firewire..
 
Comment

prismfinder

macrumors newbie
Oct 30, 2003
9
0
Orlando, FL
What about Networking?

My biggest concern is losing IP over Firewire, which I use everyday to connect my Powerbook to the gigabit connection at work through my G5. Since I have only one Gigabit jack in my office, I share my Internet connection over Firewire 800, which is pretty sweet.
 
Comment

revenuee

macrumors 68020
Sep 13, 2003
2,251
1
one firewire is not enough

i like having my drives and devices running on one bus and my video camera running on the other -- it ensures no dropped frames for me.

also ... firewire ip is amazing ... much less expensive then gigabit ethernet and a great alternative for offices that don't have the infrastructure set up, and the IT person couldn't administer a toaster so talking to them about it is useless
 
Comment

Cinch

macrumors 6502
Sep 18, 2005
479
2
LimeiBook86 said:
Exactly! Your 100% correct, if Apple dropped FireWire in either some or all of their models it would be like shooting themselves in the foot. This is the last thing they need right now, and I don't think we'll have to worry about this...although...we can never be too sure unfortunately. :eek:

boo-hoo-hoo, i'm not sympathetic.

The way i see it is one less ungainly hole to see on a cute iBook or PB. While they are at it, get rid of the modem port and ethernet port too. Give me a beautiful stylist laptop with long battery life and wireless access.
Let not cater to people who like to stick every which wires that they can find to their laptop.:D

Cinch
 
Comment

shamino

macrumors 68040
Jan 7, 2004
3,403
206
Purcellville, VA
After G said:
If the pro computers only come with FW800, I hope they include a downconverter to FW400. I have a bunch of FW400 devices and no FW800 devices. Maybe they'll have both, which is even more awesome.
The "downconverter" is a simple cable adapter. FW800 will auto-negotiate to 400Mbps if necessary. Just like it (and FW400) will auto-negotiate to 200M and 100M speeds (which are also valid FW speeds) if the attached devices don't support anything faster.
 
Comment

shamino

macrumors 68040
Jan 7, 2004
3,403
206
Purcellville, VA
Cinch said:
boo-hoo-hoo, i'm not sympathetic.

The way i see it is one less ungainly hole to see on a cute iBook or PB. While they are at it, get rid of the modem port and ethernet port too. Give me a beautiful stylist laptop with long battery life and wireless access.
Let not cater to people who like to stick every which wires that they can find to their laptop.:D
While you're at it, let's get rid of the USB ports and keyboard as well, and force everything to be BlueTooth. And see if we can come up with a wireless display tech and matching headset to get rid of that bit of ugliness as well.

Ideally, we should have an undifferentiated plastic (or metal, if you prefer) brick that only ten people worldwide will be able to use. Let's not cater to people who actually want to do work on a computer that was clearly purchased only for its appearance.
 
Comment
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.