Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

dune

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 25, 2005
munich / germany
I was just on the point to buy a G5 quad.
now that the intel-switch seems to happen much faster than expected, I'm not shure anymore.
will the macStations, or however they will be called, come out very soon or will it take till the end of the year?

Stike

macrumors 65816
Jan 31, 2002
Germany
One thing is true for sure: What Steve said...
(dont start with 3 GHz in 12 months..)

THe PowerMac will be replaced sometime THIS year. So if you can hold out that long, do it...

BearRanger

macrumors member
May 23, 2005
Deep in the Woods
Buy the G5 Quad.

Here's what is definitely known. The Intel PowerMac replacement is going to use a processor from Intel that is not yet released. It's not going to be released by next Tuesday. If you can wait until the end of the year, you might have a chance to buy an Intel PowerMac. If you can't, buy what's currently available.

chicagdan

macrumors 6502a
Jan 3, 2002
Chicago, IL
I think people jumping to buy these Yonah machine are stupid. Conroe/Merom chips are six months away and they're going to blow these CPUs out of the water ... Yonah only looks good because we've been living with mediocrity for so long. Everyone who buys Yonah now will feel even more stupid than iMac G5 users feel today ...

... And yes, I'm an iMac G5 user. But my next computer will be a Conroe MacBook Pro and I'll bet it's out by Sept. 1st.

NYmacAttack

macrumors 6502
Dec 8, 2005
NY
BearRanger said:
Buy the G5 Quad.

Here's what is definitely known. The Intel PowerMac replacement is going to use a processor from Intel that is not yet released. It's not going to be released by next Tuesday. If you can wait until the end of the year, you might have a chance to buy an Intel PowerMac. If you can't, buy what's currently available.

If you need the G5 now buy it now. Nobody even knows what processor will be used. I assume they would be using a 64 bit desktop dual core processor. Intel has not launched these new chips yet.

dune

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 25, 2005
munich / germany
o.k. thanks a lot for the replies.
so maybe I'll buy a used G5 at eBay...

can anybody tell me if it's possible to buy a G5-compatible retail-version of the Quadro fx 4500 or the gf 7800?
in the AppleStore they only sell the gf6600.

Mr. Anderson

Moderator emeritus
Nov 1, 2001
VA
dune said:
next tuesday is too late.
I need it tomorrow.

order it now if you need it - I don't think we'll see a power mac version of the intels till the end of the year. And the PowerBook Pro isn't even being shipped until February - so again, if you need it, get a Quad.

I did and its supposed to be shipped on the 17th - really looking forward to getting the speed :D

And you have to buy a new G5 to get the new graphics cards - they don't sell them separately.

D

generik

macrumors 601
Aug 5, 2005
Minitrue
chicagdan said:
I think people jumping to buy these Yonah machine are stupid. Conroe/Merom chips are six months away and they're going to blow these CPUs out of the water ... Yonah only looks good because we've been living with mediocrity for so long. Everyone who buys Yonah now will feel even more stupid than iMac G5 users feel today ...

... And yes, I'm an iMac G5 user. But my next computer will be a Conroe MacBook Pro and I'll bet it's out by Sept. 1st.

Erm, you don't want a Conroe in a MBP, unless maybe you want 10 minutes of battery life.

Conroe is the desktop processor, Merom is what you really want. Christmas 2006 will be a great christmas :D

dune

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 25, 2005
munich / germany
order it now if you need it - I don't think we'll see a power mac version of the intels till the end of the year. And the PowerBook Pro isn't even being shipped until February - so again, if you need it, get a Quad.
thanks for your advice, but I think I'm not gonna do that.
I want to buy one of these "intel-powerMacs" when they come out.
so I had to pay 5.000 EUR now for the G5 with the Quadro and in the end of the year the same again.
that's too much for me.

Mr. Anderson

Moderator emeritus
Nov 1, 2001
VA
why are you going to buy the Quadro card? If you're going to wait, there will no doubt be other cards with 512 Megs of RAM - the Quadro is specialized for 3D displays and is way too much money unless you actually really need the thing.

D

Meyvn

macrumors 6502
Feb 3, 2005
chicagdan said:

Conroe is not a laptop processor. The Merom is. And how do you know when both of them come out that there won't be another "blow them out of the water" CPU on the horizon? What if in February 2007, AMD releases a quad-core laptop processor that no one hears about until September, and Apple decides to go with them since they've already made it over to x86? Lusting after future technology is just so tiring. I have an October 2005 PowerBook, and I personally do not feel stupid at all (though I'm sure at least 10 people in this thread who may or may not have been reading the Horizontal Lines thread will think I'm stupid).

dune

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 25, 2005
munich / germany
why are you going to buy the Quadro card? If you're going to wait, there will no doubt be other cards with 512 Megs of RAM - the Quadro is specialized for 3D displays and is way too much money unless you actually really need the thing.

I'm working with Maya and the Quadro is the only mac-card qualified with Maya on OSX.

Mr. Anderson

Moderator emeritus
Nov 1, 2001
VA
dune said:
I'm working with Maya and the Quadro is the only mac-card qualified with Maya on OSX.

really?!? do you have some documentation on that? I find it odd that that would be the only card that would qualify....

http://features.cgsociety.org/story_custom.php?story_id=3321

the reviews of the card are from PCs - so its not exactly going to be the same results for Macs - but I don't think the price difference of that magnitude is worth the extra cost. Eventually, in 6 months to a year, better cards will be available and you'll be able to spend less on an upgrade and get a better card than shelling out the $1450 for a Quadro now.

D

Attachments

• Picture 3.png
    Picture 3.png
    36.6 KB · Views: 92

dune

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 25, 2005
munich / germany
thanks for the link, Mr.Anderson!
but there's something that I don't understand (maybe my english is not good enough).
on the top of page3 under SPECVIEWPERF 8.1 there are 3dsmax-03,Catia-01,... and also Maya-01 listed.(why Maya-01 ?????)
the numbers for the geforce 7800 are mostly less then a half of the ones for the QuadroFX4500.

what exactly does that mean?

I also don't understand what the numbers under SPECAPC FOR MAYA 6.5 stand for. in this case the 7800 looks much better, almost the same like the Quadro.

...but could you help me and tell me what all that means??? please.

thanks a lot.

here's the aliasQualifiedHardware-link for osx:
http://www.alias.com/eng/support/maya/qualified_hardware/QUAL/maya_70_osx.html

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.