Intel Mini - DVI Monitor (VG2030WM)

Discussion in 'Mac mini' started by banjo_1928, Apr 26, 2007.

1. banjo_1928 macrumors newbie

Mar 11, 2005
    I just bought a ViewSonic VG2030WM monitor, connected via DVI, and have been having problems with it not syncing when restarting the machine or waking it from sleep.

If I switch the monitor off for longer than a few minutes, then it will not sync when turned back on.

If I set the Energy Saver to blank the screen after say 5 mins idle, then there is no problem activating it.

The only way I have been able to get the thing going again after failure is to power everything off (machine && monitor), remove the power cable from the monitor and fully discharge the monitor by pressing its on/off button while unplugged.

More often that not it will work after that, but sometimes it really is a wash/rinse/repeat cycle.

Usually the Mac will recognise the monitor as ViewSonic VG2030wm, but it also frequently just sees it as a generic VGA and does not offer the correct resolution (1680x1050)

In addition, Windows XP fails to recognize it at all when I use Boot Camp. Using a VGA cable, Windows sees it just fine. Thats really a secondary problem as its not very often I use Boot Camp, but its annoying all the same.

This is all rather frustrating as it should "just work". Anyone else had these sorts of problems, or is my monitor a lemon?
  2. iW00t macrumors 68040

Nov 7, 2006
    Defenders of Apple Guild
    It's probably your monitor. Apple products are perfect.

If something doesn't work with your  product it is probably that something's fault.
  3. Acegryphon macrumors newbie

Aug 7, 2007
    Vancouver, Canada
    Mine does something similar. After waking from sleep, the VG2030WM, which is my second monitor, will have a distorted picture with a lot of "tearing" all over the screen image. I can still see the desktop, but it just looks bad. What I usually do it press the #2 button on the side (video select) and wait a second.

Other than this annoying quirk, the quality of this monitor is pretty good My Apple Studio Monitor is a bit sharper though.