Intel Mini + PPC iBook...Anything I need to know first?

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by GanChan, Apr 29, 2010.

1. GanChan macrumors 6502a

I've been running on a "dual-oldies" setup -- G4 Mini for main/personal work, and G4 iBook as my mobile unit/business HD. I often Firewire them together so I can do business stuff with my main monitor and keyboard.

I finally decided that I don't mind an older/slower field unit (and I actually like the fact that if my laptop dies/gets stolen/falls off a bridge, I can just buy a "new" iBook for cheap as long as I have the data backed up elsewhere). But I really need to update the Mini to the latest model, because it just doesn't keep up with my multitasking needs anymore. Before I do, though, should I be worried about compatibility issues if I keep linking these two computers together as I've done in the past?

I know there are some issues with booting an intel from a PPC. What else should I keep in mind?

Thanks.

2. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

I'm guess you put the iBook in target disk mode and boot the Mini from it. If that's what you do, it will not with an Intel Mini. They use a different disk header which is not compatible as far as I know. You can still share files and such over Firewire but you'll need a Firewire 800 to 400 adapter because the new Mini's have Firewire 800.

3. BlueRevolution macrumors 603

BlueRevolution

Yes.

"Some issues" ie. it can't be done.

If you want to share screens, you can try using ScreenRecycler for the purpose, but I can't promise how well it'll work on a slower computer.

4. GanChan thread starter macrumors 6502a

Fortunately, i've never really had to boot the iBook from the Mini. It's sad to lose that functionality, but I'll be keeping my old Mini so it can do "CPR" on the iBook in an emergency. I do, however, need the PPC iBook to show up on the Mini's desktop as an external HD.

I guess if the Intel Mini goes bad, I'll just have to make sure i've been backing up data religiously so I can send it away for repairs.

5. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

It'll still show up as an external HD. You'll just need an adapter for the Firewire cable and other then that nothing should be different.