Intel Mini - Sporadic crackling sound on headphone port.

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by ste0x, May 6, 2007.

1. ste0x macrumors newbie

Hi!

I've got a dual core 1.66 Intel Mini from August 06. Around the time iTunes 7 came out, I started getting this sporadic crackling on the sound from the headphone port, but not the internal speaker. This crackling and static could happen whether I was using iTunes, playing video, even the feedback from the volume adjuster would often have this crackling static reverb. If you hit mute on the keyboard during a bout of this, you could still hear it on the headphones.

I assumed it was from the iTunes 7 update - I'd heard about this sort of thing in the Windows world at least. It just seemed to disappear though after a week or two and never happen again until last month.

I took the mini down to the semi-local apple store and the genius I spoke to really didn't seem to know what it could be and said he had never heard of this sort of thing before - unable to replicate it in the 2 minutes or so he checked it - kinda useless seeing as it's a sporadic problem and I can get hours out of it without any crackling sometimes.

There appears to be no real pattern to it happening, either.

I've tried just about everything I can think of. I've not had any symptoms whilst running Windows in bootcamp though I've not really had time to run Windows for extensive amounts of time to have it occurr. I've tried disconnecting everything around it and running it on its own power socket to ward off possible electrical interference and whatnot, still no luck.

Any ideas?

2. Telp macrumors 68040

Telp

3. ste0x thread starter macrumors newbie

Yeah, I've tried several different sets, iPod earbuds and my amplifier.

4. Telp macrumors 68040

Telp

The last suggestion that i can contribute to you as of now is to take it in to apple. Do you have applecare, or is it still under warranty?