Intel mobile CPU roadmap: Only minor updates in 2009!

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by cyberwolf777, Jan 28, 2009.

1. cyberwolf777 macrumors member

I'm currently looking at buying a 17" MBP and through researching whether to wait for major CPU updates (quad, i7) I found Intel's mobile processor roadmap:
    http://www.techarp.com/showarticle.aspx?artno=596&pgno=0

to decypher:
    DC P2 = upgraded 17" MBP
    DC P1 = standard 17" MBP
    POP3: upgraded high 15" MBP
    POP2: standard high 15" MBP
    POP1: standard low 15" MBP/high MB
    Low Voltage: MBA

I was very surprised to find out that other than minor speed bumps (17" up to 3.06Ghz with the T9900 in Q2, MBA up to 2.16Ghz with the SL9600 in Q2) it doesn't seem like we'll see anything major for the rest of the year.

Capella quad-core processors based on the i7 architecture will only be available for laptop computers at the very end of this year and if they will still consume 40+W I don't think Apple will use them in their portable products. And even if, I think it is very unlikely that such a quad-core MBP will see the light until after the Christmas season!
    And for the Core 2 Duo - no major updates until Q1 or Q2 2010 according to this roadmap.

Conclusion: If you need a new mac but you're waiting for a major overhaul when it comes to CPU and system architecture, don't hold off because you might wait for a while!

2. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

3. cyberwolf777 thread starter macrumors member

Yeah, I know but my point was also that no major updates for the Penryn can be expected either until then.

4. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

The Nehalem replaces the Penryn, so of course there's no major changes until the replacement.