Intel officially ships Broadwell - Broadwell rMBP very likely

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by DevAndy, Jul 16, 2014.

1. DevAndy, Jul 16, 2014
    Last edited: Jul 16, 2014

DevAndy macrumors member

DevAndy

http://www.pcworld.com/article/2454...ell-but-next-gen-skylake-chip-could-slip.html

Apple is stepping up their game on the rMBP line.

2. StarkInc macrumors newbie

3. Epiphron macrumors regular

I'm confused. Didn't they officially say Broadwell was delayed until 2015? Or was that a Broadwell for tablets, etc.

4. DevAndy thread starter macrumors member

DevAndy

They did, but now they're back on schedule.

5. uwdude macrumors 6502a

Ok now I'm really confused, lol. I was just about to pull the trigger on a new rMBP. So now we're back to having a Broadwell unit released this fall?

6. OzyOly macrumors 6502a

I highly doubt any broadwell rMBP update would come this year. Ofcourse, I look forward to being proved wrong.

7. thundersteele macrumors 68030

That wasn't an official statement. Just a leaked roadmap, that said that only a small number of low voltage Broadwell CPUs would be available in late 2014, while the Broadwell CPUs for the rMBPs seem to be delayed until mid-2015.

Sorry but I don't see anything in the link you posted that suggests that the CPUs for Broadwell rMBPs will appear in 2014. It is just the same vague statement they made earlier, about "some" Broadwell equipped machines being on shelves by Christmas. But we can always hope.

8. DevAndy thread starter macrumors member

DevAndy

Yes, the rumor before was that Broadwell was delayed until 2015, but there was still speculation of it being released early to OEMs. At times, Apple gets the latest chips.

Now that Intel's announced it, it's very reasonable to assume Broadwell on the MBP lineup.

9. DevAndy thread starter macrumors member

DevAndy

The difference is that they're currently shipping to OEMs. Either way, Apple won't do a minor refresh -- especially with the dated rMBP -- and even more so when they have Broadwell in stock.

10. OzyOly macrumors 6502a

They said in that article that 'shipping' may not mean en mass.

11. thebrobrah macrumors regular

nothing has changed..im pretty sure he is referring to the broadwell-m, which was always scheduled to be released first (holidays)

the SKU destined for the rmbp will probably still be february at the earliest

12. DevAndy thread starter macrumors member

DevAndy

As always. Intel also stated that Broadwell will be consistent with their release, having consumer products on shelves by the holidays.

13. OzyOly macrumors 6502a

I still think it would only be tablets. Time will tell I guess.

14. johnnylarue macrumors 6502a

Bingo.

This is far from an Intel exec proclaiming categorically that "all new laptops will be Broadwell-equipped by Xmas," or something to that effect.

15. AdamskiUK macrumors regular

The ultrabook CPUs are the ones we care about. They're the ones people and leaks are saying have been most delayed. I don't think that anybody is disputing that some Broadwell chips are coming to market in Q4 2014, just that they aren't ultrabook chips.

16. pragmatous macrumors 65816

Well here's hoping I'm wrong. (I originally posted the article about the delay).

----------

It does state that broadwell based PC's will ship by the holiday season.

I'm with you though I still think we won't see broadwell until 2015. It's usually wise however to go by what is said verses rumors.

17. Joelist macrumors member

Remember the rMBP will be getting the quad core version with the new Iris Pro, so we won;t see a refresh until that SKU is in OEMs hands.

18. Freyqq macrumors 68040

They never said which SKU are coming before the holidays...just that some will be out by then. It could very well not be the ones used in the rMBP. If Haswell was any indication, they started with ultrabook processors (macbook air) first.

19. Steve121178 macrumors 68040

Steve121178

These are the Y series Broadwell chips (now called Core M), NOT the mobile/desktop CPU's!

20. dusk007 macrumors 68040

dusk007

Every other leak said that all the chips with the bigger GPUs and quad cores come late. This really disputes none of that. Some Broadwell will ship and these are as all the leaks have stated in all likelihood the small dual cores with the small GPUs.
    Nothing in this link suggests that anything the leaks before said has changed. The Mac tablets will have Apple SoCs and even the MBA comes with a dual core with the bigger GPU.

21. SarcasticJoe Suspended

SarcasticJoe

This thread is the usual case of people not bothering to read the fine print or actually take a moment to think about what was actually said...

First of all it's a chip intended for really low power solutions, not regular laptops or even something of the rMBP's caliber. Then there's the point about volume, what this most probably means is that they're shipping engineering samples to OEM's so they can get the devices ready for mass production when Intel starts shipping .

Every now and then you see leaked engineering samples being reviewed, that usually happens months before volume shipments of the chips begin and generally the engineering samples in question are unfinished and don't perform like the mass produced models. I remember when engineering samples of AMD's Vishera chips leaked out to reviewers and the results were lackluster to say the least. Hell, the results didn't even match up with the FX-8350 when it came out a few months later.

22. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

The chipset that goes into the rMBP is not the ULV variant and that is shipping not the mobile chip for the rMBP. I don't think we'll be seeing any new MBPs this year :(

23. plusnq macrumors member

I agree

24. thundersteele macrumors 68030

Maybe I wasn't clear enough. The question is what they are shipping. The earlier information was that only some ULV processors will be ready for fall/christmas. Those might be the ones they are shipping to OEMs now. So nothing new, and the Broadwell RMBP is still mid-2015.

25. GoneDrinkin macrumors regular

Intel should really get their act together. Anything delayed for well over a year is not just due to manufacturing issues. I think they're just really lax on everything because they have no competition.

I'm guessing they're really pissing Apple off, because Apple is very much about their schedual.

I'd love if Intel actually became more punctual and released everything for June/July for an autumn release. The back to school period should be the sole priority of a chip manufacturer considering most sales take place then.

Looks like I'm possibly waiting it out until October based on so many conflicting rumours.