Intel Only Apps

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by drumpat01, Mar 6, 2009.

1. drumpat01 macrumors 6502

drumpat01

Hey there guys. I just got my first Intel based Mac (had been on an iBook G4, now I'm on a 17" MBP). My question is, what are some interesting or cool apps that are Intel Only besides the new iLife 09 stuff?

2. r.j.s Moderator emeritus

r.j.s

3. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

4. sickmacdoc macrumors 68020

sickmacdoc

So there's no misinformation spread, the iLife 09 programs aren't Intel only- the system requirements note that the iLife 09 programs need:

5. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

You forgot about iMovie and a ton of the features that require an Intel.

6. Tesselator macrumors 601

Tesselator

Oh, there's hundreds, thousands, millions maybe. :) Just about everything I DL and use is for Intel. In fact in the past one year not a single piece of PPC code has been executed. Remember that Universal Binary (UB), typically means that the file contains both a PPC version of the program and also an Intel version of it. You can even use some utilities to remove one or the other version. In your case removing the PPC code will make the files about 55% of their original size and not affect functionality.

http://www.xslimmer.com/
    http://www.bresink.de/osx/0TinkerTool/screenshots.html
    etc.

BTW, you can do this to all of the iLife and iWork apps and not affect anything. They don't use rosetta for anything.

7. Catfish_Man macrumors 68030

Catfish_Man

Tesselator, the OP asked about Intel-only, not Intel-compatible. Not all that many apps have dropped PPC support yet.

(For most there's not much benefit until they can drop 32 bit support as well)

8. drumpat01 thread starter macrumors 6502

drumpat01

i checked out Plex and I have to say that is pretty sweet. i also looked at ie4osx. I cant think of any idea why I'd ever want to put that on my Mac, but I guess its good to know that i could...

9. Tesselator macrumors 601

Tesselator

That doesn't even make sense. What difference would it make that the application happens to come with an embedded PPC version of itself that NEVER EVER gets used on an Intel mac?

Doesn't the OP just want to know what apps will run natively on his Intel mac? And of course that answer is: Just about all of them!

Additionally as I showed, you can make them "Intel ONLY" if you like by running one of those utilities on the app in question.

Am I missing something here?

10. sickmacdoc macrumors 68020

sickmacdoc

Actually iMovie just takes G4s out of the equation. G5's are still ok with it.;)
    There are two features in the suite that do require Intel though- using AVCHD video footage in iMovie and the Learn to Play portion of GarageBand.

11. neonblue2 macrumors 6502a

The OP is looking for apps that aren't PPC-compatible because if they've come from a PPC Mac. Intel Mac users can use almost any Mac software (PPC, Uni, Intel), PPC users can only use PPC and Universal Binaries.