Intel or kingston

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by boogieman, Jun 15, 2010.

1. boogieman macrumors regular

I have searched on here for over 2 days and can't find my answer. I bought a new i7 today. I can afford the kingston 512 gb. But is a intel 80 gig faster? My iTunes music is over 200 gigs and iPhoto is 120 gigs. I feel safe with optibay if the 80 intel is that much faster. I have seen conflicting reports on here and thought I would ask. I have a 160 intel in my macro and love it. So basically I need to know if the Kingston is great or not.

2. sevimli macrumors 6502a

sevimli

Go for the 512gb kingston if you can afford it.

Speed difference won't be huge!

3. xi mezmerize ix macrumors 6502a

xi mezmerize ix

200+120>80...get the 512

4. robotmonkey macrumors 6502

Well what rpm are these going to be running at? If the 80 is an ssd then the speed increase will be huge! Almost night and day

5. sn0warmy macrumors 6502a

sn0warmy

I agree that the speed difference will not be huge. But $1,300+ for a hard drive??? That's just insane to me.

I have an Intel 80GB X25-M SSD installed with a 320GB Hitachi 7200RPM Optibay drive and I am absolutely amazed by the performance. And the entire HDD setup cost me under $300.

6. boogieman thread starter macrumors regular

I was going to optibay and use a 640 drive in it also for all of my bluray rips and other things I have.

7. sn0warmy macrumors 6502a

sn0warmy

Definitely do that. Save yourself a ton of money with no real performance loss.:)

8. boogieman thread starter macrumors regular

Well I meant to say is use the 512 kingston and a 640. But I really dont need to have all that stuff on my laptop. I cant decide!!

9. runebinder macrumors 6502a

runebinder

When you say you can afford the Kingston 512GB do you mean just about afford but will leave you broke for a while, or can comfortably afford and still have plenty of money left?

If it's the former I'd say go for the Intel + otibay if you're not worried about warranty. If the latter than go for the Kingston as it will be way faster than a traditional HDD and the difference between it and the Intel won't be huge in comparison, plus from one Kingston owner I've asked, they reckon the Garbage collection is pretty decent on it.

Also the 160GB Intel is supposed to be faster than the 80GB so if you're going to go the Intel route you may want to consider that. Also can you afford to wait for a few months as the Intel 3rd gen drives will be out with higher capacities and supposedly cheaper prices.