Intel or OCZ SSD for MBP?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by mankymanning, Mar 20, 2010.

1. mankymanning macrumors regular

I am looking at an Intel X25-M Gen2 80GB, an OCZ Vertex 60GB or OZC Solid 2 120GB drive all roughly the same price.

Which would be best? OSX doesn't support TRIM so I am thinking perhaps I would be better off with background GC of the OCZ models. The Solid2 is a little slower but not so much that it is worth having half the storage of the Vertex perhaps?

Intel ones apparently don't suffer much from degradation over time from writing apparently but then for normal usage patterns it might not really be an issue anyway...

Anyone had any of these or can comment?

Thanks.

2. FieryFurnace macrumors 6502

FieryFurnace

I have a Vertex 60GB in my MB and it is great.
    And I never had any problems with it since I bought in march last year.

One day, OSX will have TRIM support too I guess - it's an industry standard and it doesn't involve any license fee as far as I know. :D

To answer your question, go with that SSD that has the size you think you will need - 60GB, 80GB, 120GB or 160GB. Depending on how you use your MBP, you probably rarely will feel the difference in speed.

3. techound1 macrumors 68000

techound1

I had the intel x-25 and it ran like a trouper for me on heavy video editing.

4. Kiima macrumors newbie

SSD's next update?

I would like to know if there are any rumors regarding what kind of ssd options are in play for the next "gen" of MBPs. The reason being, i would like to get an overview, of possible 3rd party solutions but is probably likely to stick with the apple bulit-in, since I'm a complete novice at mangling with hardware ( therefore a bit afraid of opening a completely new one up)

So far i've been checking out the Intel x25-m 160 gb G2.
    Any good threads on the use of these in a MBP 13", or personal experience?

/Kiima

5. sb28 macrumors newbie

Intel X25-M G2 160 GB runs fine in my 2008 13" Unibody MacBook.
    No Problems, I've been using it for 3-4 Weeks now...

The SpeedUp is amazing, I can definitely recommend this SSD although I read about problems with Intel-SSD ans nVidia-Chipset on a few webpages, no problems here.

6. Kiima macrumors newbie

This is why I'm now glad, that i posted. What kind of influence will this "foreign" component have on OSX and what can I do, to avoid these issues? (referring to the intel x25-m and the nVidia-chipset problems)

Also I'm confused about how i get OSX started on the new disc. Do I start from the OSX install dvd or ??
    Cloning doesn't seem like the solution since I'm doing this to a new MBP, and retrieving my files from my iBook g4 via my backup-external drive...

Thank you in advance
    /Kiima :)

7. Bye Bye Baby macrumors 65816

Bye Bye Baby

I am thinking of getting a couple of SSD drives.

I was thinking of one for my iMac.

8. HellDiverUK macrumors 6502

I'm very, very happy with my Crucial M225. Had it in my Mac Mini, now in my MacBook Pro. No problems at all, 24/7 use for just over a year.

9. macchiato2009 macrumors 65816

i'm really happy with my intel postville 80 Gb, i've been using it since its release, on my MBP

now that i've ordered a mac mini, i just bought another one to upgrade my mini :)

go for it !

fast and reliable

10. mankymanning thread starter macrumors regular

Well I decided on the 120GB Solid 2 in the end for the extra space. I am hoping that I will also be able to run my Virtual machines off it and see some performance increases there too...hopefully it will all work fine when it arrive.

11. disconap macrumors 68000

disconap

I'm super happy with my OCZ vertex turbos. I have a Kingston and a Patriot in other machines and, while they have their own pluses and minuses, the OCZ drives outperform (plus they have Garbage Collection, which the others do not, and until OSX has a TRIM feature that makes them a great purchase).

12. killerbee79 macrumors member

Have you noticed any slowdown at all in your Mac in the year you had your M225 SSD? Has the drive noticeably slowed down at all?

I like many really want to make the jump to an SSD. I use my Macbook alu constantly everyday. I used both Windows 7 and XP in Parallels everyday also. I'm getting sick of my 5400 RPM HDD being soooooooo slow.

I'm afraid with me using virtualization alot that the drive will slow to a crawl quickly. I don't plan on doing any maintenence on it. I want garbage collection in the drive to handle that.

The fear of slow down is the only thing holding me back. Spend all that money to have a drive a slow as my old drive after X months/days/whatever.

13. thatguysmells macrumors regular

14. mankymanning thread starter macrumors regular

From what I have read they don't slow down all that much, you can apparently log out and leave your machine on overnight to just let the garbage collection do its stuff.

Frankly I am not even averse to every couple of months just booting off a USB key and reinstalling the entire drive from a Time Machine backup. It would only take a couple of minutes to kick off and would be finished by morning with the drive back to pristine condition.