Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

lgwells1

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Aug 27, 2011
USA
I am building a file server at home, this would be primarily used host my movies and share a printer. I am having difficulties installing my printer drivers on Ubuntu 12.04. So I am trying to turn my old clunker into a Hackintosh, just because it would make it so easy to get it to do the things I need it too.

Asus P4P800-M (Not 100% sure on model, I am at work so I cannot inspect)
Intel P4 2.66Ghz
1.25 DDR RAM
NVidia 64MB Video Card(Forgot Name)
160GB HDD (OS/Applications)
200GB HDD (Storage/Misc)

There are NO Sata ports on my MB, I have to use IDE for everything.

I have been over at TonyMacx86, followed the directions to setup the mother board. I have iBoot on a cd, and Multibeast ready for when OSX is finally installed.

<i>STEP 1: BIOS SETTINGS
You will need to set your BIOS to ACHI mode and your Boot Priority to boot from CD-ROM first. This is the most important step, and one many people overlook. Make sure your bios settings match these. It's not difficult- the only thing I did on my Gigabyte board besides setting Boot Priority to CD/DVD first was set Optimized Defaults, change SATA to AHCI mode, and set HPET to 64-bit mode.</i>

I cannot find the ACHI mode on my motherboard, I have looked all over. It does not have this option. I also couldn't find HPET, but I don't think it was as important as Sata to ACHI.

I boot to iBoot. Insert my 10.6.3 Retail DVD, I press ENTER to boot from the retail disk. I get the white screen with Apple logo, but that is it. I tried a few command prompts at iBoot screen to help enable the boot process on the retail disk. None worked.

Can anyone help me out, the search button was not so helpful this time.

lgwells1

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Aug 27, 2011
USA
you would have more luck getting help on one of the hackintosh forums, such as insanelymac.com google search will give other forums for hackintoshing.

I thought about it, but I wanted to try good ol trusty MacRumors first. I guess I have to go create an account over at Insanely Mac. :(

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.