Intel PC running Mac OS X??

Discussion in 'iMac' started by sphoenix77, Feb 17, 2010.

1. sphoenix77 macrumors member

Ok so today I saw an ad for an Intel Mac core 2 tower for sale. When I contacted the owner he invited me over to see it. I saw that the case was not typical apple casing (more like a super fancy gaming case) but the operating system was obviously Mac OS X 10.5.7. I clicked and opened programs and everything seemed fine.
    However, when I got the computer home and I connected it to my monitor and keyboard, it started booting like a Windows PC. As the process went on, it showed the apple icon and the progress bar then the grey screen. finally, when it got to the part where the "log on" screen or the desktop should pop up.. there was nothing but a blue screen. What happened?? I am so confused. It's like all of the sudden it's a windows computer!
    I tried booting it up from my Mac OS X 10.5 disk but it wont read from any mac cd/dvd. It does, however, recognize windows cds and DVDs and will boot from those.
    Does anyone have any information on this... or can give me any (serious) advice?

2. outphase macrumors 65816

You bought what's known as a "hackintosh." You did not buy Apple hardware and should get a refund if that's what you thought you were buying.

3. MacDawg macrumors P6

MacDawg

4. baslotto macrumors regular

5. sphoenix77 thread starter macrumors member

Yeah I got it off craigslist so a refund is sorta out of the question. :/ I just cant figure out why it can't boot now...

6. MacDawg macrumors P6

MacDawg

I don't mean to be doom and gloom, but if you aren't really into this sort of thing, you are in for a world of hurt

A Hackintosh is really a geek's wet dream... something they tinker with and tweak and not something the average user needs to deal with

7. pionata macrumors 6502

Well, you make the case for how much "better" and "cheaper" hackintosh are over macs...

8. iParis macrumors 68040

iParis

Well it booted once before. Maybe you have to do a special boot up sequence. Call the guy and ask him about it. If it still doesn't work, you still have a PC you can put Windows iif in the hackintoshed Leopard doesn't work.

9. sphoenix77 thread starter macrumors member

That's just it.. I contacted him and he is very uncooperative. He keeps saying I must "have dropped it or something". I think he is saying that because it's illegal to sell one of these things.

10. kernkraft macrumors 68020

kernkraft

I would try pressing the command key, while starting it again. Or the alt.

11. PurrBall macrumors 6502a

PurrBall

If you're getting a blue screen, try connecting your monitor to another output on the PC.

12. sphoenix77 thread starter macrumors member

did that. Doesn't work at all. The computer acts like a PC and nothing happens.

13. sphoenix77 thread starter macrumors member

there is only 1 DV connection for the monitor on the tower.

14. PurrBall macrumors 6502a

PurrBall

If there's a DVI and a VGA port, try the other. I've seen issues where connecting to the other port and booting it up will work.

15. MacHamster68 macrumors 68040

MacHamster68

dont get me wrong, but did you not know that it is not a real mac , i mean you rarely find someone who would buy a mac and take it apart to put it in a pc case, as it would void any warranty , so if it does not look like a mac it is no mac ,even if its running osx, but i gues you know that now , how to help you ? i dont know i never owned a hackintosh and i guess here are not many users who have hackintoshs at home , so most of us here will not even have a clue what can go wrong on a hackintosh setup
    your best source for answers is maybe a forum like http://www.hackint0sh.org/

or

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/lofiversion/index.php/f85.html

but if i would be you i would not go to the hassle now to find out if or how and whatever to do to get mac osx running on the pc, as its not that easy anyway to do a hackintosh , i simply would install linux on it and transform linux into osx lookalike
    http://maketecheasier.com/turn-your-ubuntu-intrepid-into-mac-osx-leopard/2009/01/08
    i done it its dead simple to do

16. patrickdunn macrumors 6502a

patrickdunn

I'd go back to his house with a threat to take him to small claims court to get your money back. Did he tell you he was selling a Mac? Do you have a copy of the ad still?

17. sphoenix77 thread starter macrumors member

I was thinking the same thing. Fortunately when I buy something off Craigslist, I always save the ad as a PDF. I'll keep you posted on that situation...

18. sphoenix77 thread starter macrumors member

Thanks for all the information and responses. I actually just went to the guys house with the police and he gave me my money back ASAP. If I buy a Mac, I want a Mac. The Hackintosh was nothing more than a PC that was trying to be a mac and inherits all the problems of a PC. I really did get the computer thinking the case was just changed to something cooler than the standard Mac tower case but just like Mac Dawg said, it was already a pain in the @$$ after one day.. and the whole reason I like Macs is for their simplicity and "plug n play" features.

19. outphase macrumors 65816

Epic win! I am surprised that the police went with you though. It is a civil matter, not criminal. :p

20. sphoenix77 thread starter macrumors member

Actually the police just went with me to "keep the peace" but I told the guy the cops were there with me because it was illegal. The cop didn't deny it and he gave me my money back right away. :D VERY Epic win!

21. MMM.PWR macrumors 6502

MMM.PWR

That's an awesome ending. Don't trust anyone. Especially on Craigslist! Let us know what you get next.

22. cocky jeremy macrumors 68040

cocky jeremy

Craigslist = scams. Nothing more.. and really dirty sex. lol.

23. Max(IT) Suspended

Max(IT)

Indeed, and you have another:
    hackintosh = crap
    ;)

I know, now we going to see people coming here to deny the facts and saying that an hackintoshis just like a Mac, if not better... ;)

24. MacHamster68 macrumors 68040

MacHamster68

hmm yes but i know the facts and you need really exact the right hardware to get a hackintosh running, but most times there is no absolute right hardware ,so it needs loads of terminal work to get simple things like graphic cards and sound to work and things like that , its just not like a mac where you put the install disc in and a couple minutes later you got osx running

25. 300D macrumors 65816

300D

Bingo. Thank you. You got screwed.