Intel phasing out first Nehalem i7 processor

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by vcuares, May 6, 2009.

1. iVoid macrumors 65816

Note that it's not the Xeon X5500 that's being phased out, they just mentioned that it was part of the same family and was released just weeks ago.

They're dropping on of the desktop chips. Probably just low sales for that particular one, so they decided to drop it sooner than normal.

2. nanofrog macrumors G4

This would be my guess as well. The i7-920 gives a lot of bang-for-the-buck, and the 940 can't be OC'd any faster IIRC. So it's likely considered a waste of money to most people.

If someone wants faster, they can pony up the cash for the i7-965, and use water cooling. Then they can exceed what the "lowly" i7-920 can do. :p

I do wonder if Intel might make a similar decision on the W3540 (Just the i7-940 with ECC), or even any of the DP variants.

3. t0mat0 macrumors 603

t0mat0

Wolfgang seems to answer himself potentially:

Glut of Penryn to work through, Clarksfield & Arrandale in the wings and updated CPU they can offer? Guess we don't know at this point - anyone got a previous roadmap to see when it was initially supposed to be EOLd?
    Shift to I7-950?

Note the updated Thursday article after the OP's wednesday article.
    http://www.tgdaily.com/content/view/42340/135/

Intel phasing the Core i7 940 processor out news yesterday,
    Intel phasing the Extreme version 965 out this year too.

So from a stable of
    I7-920
    I7-940
    I7-950
    I7-965 Extreme Edition
    I7-975 Extreme Edition

They're phasing two out within 6 months. With the 920 the low end, and 975 the other - what are Intel playing at?

Is in line with this from Fudzilla - http://www.fudzilla.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=11906&Itemid=1

4. Umbongo macrumors 601

Umbongo

They aren't playing at anything and they also did it with Core 2 processors in the high end desktop line. They can offer faster parts now since it has been in production for 6 months and so faster parts replace older ones rather than expanding the range.

5. velocityg4 macrumors 68040

velocityg4

Given that each i7 is nearly double the price of the lower model for such low speed gains I am not surprised if they are not doing too well. I guess Intel figures that introducing two more around the same prices of the current top two would just cannibalize each others sales.

What they really need is to release some lower end chipsets. X58 is great but not everyone needs such high end boards many would be well served is they released G51, P51, G55 and P55. Further I would like to see some nVidia and VIA boards.

Basically we need to start seeing $50 to $70 boards not everyone has use for 2 or 3 PCIe x16 slots, 6xDDR3, 6+ SATA with RAID, dual Gigabit Ethernet, 7.1 audio etc...

6. t0mat0 macrumors 603

t0mat0

Where are the other non-high end desktop lines? Looking at
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Intel_Core_2_microprocessors
    It seems that Intel had more processors out after 6 months, than they do with Nehalem (launched 17 November 2008 - so it's been it's been 6 months)

You're very likely right Umbongo - I'm just curious as to if the roadmap has changed, and when they'll be more precise about release dates for the roadmap ahead.

7. Umbongo macrumors 601

Umbongo

The Nehalem roadmap was always spread out more than others have been, though it does seem that things got further spread out from the initial i7 release due to the economy, lack of competition and board makers having a surplus of inventory. I'm sure if they could go back they wouldn't have released Core i7 so far ahead of other parts, but they had already said Nehalem would launch in 08.

They are probably much more guarded with release dates for a number of reasons. In addition to those I mentioned above Nehalem hasn't replaced Penryn like Penryn did over the Core 2 processors using the Conroe core. So Intel and partners still have plenty of product to sell before they need to offer something new. I think it would be a safe bet that if AMD had real competing products things would be here sooner.

Also I wouldn't be suprised if moving Core i7 2.93GHz to 3.06GHz and 3.2GHz to 3.33GHz is purely about marketing and removing confusion about faster clocked Penryn products.

8. nanofrog macrumors G4

This could be a problem in the near future, as with a lack of competition, given AMD's current situation, Intel may get complacent again. :rolleyes: :(

9. iMacmatician macrumors 601

I agree, but don't you mean 08 instead of 09?

10. Umbongo macrumors 601

Umbongo

Yep.