Intel price cuts

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by sdhollman, Jul 11, 2007.

  1. sdhollman macrumors regular

    Joined:
    Nov 16, 2005
    Location:
    Toronto, Ontario
    #1
    Hey aren't there a bunch of price cuts heading toward the Intel chips next week? Maybe that is when we will see the bump? Would make sense for them to
    hold out, even with the iMac they could stop using the mobile chip set and get it up to the Conroe line.
     
  2. suneohair macrumors 68020

    suneohair

    Joined:
    Aug 27, 2006
    #2
    About 2 weeks, July 29th. I don't expect an update until August. We should be seeing an all octo Mac Pro line.
     
  3. sdhollman thread starter macrumors regular

    Joined:
    Nov 16, 2005
    Location:
    Toronto, Ontario
    #3
    suneohair you and I have been waiting for the refresh for about the same amount of time, I am getting more than a little antsy at this point. I hope everyone is enjoying their iPhones, because the rest of us are waiting patiently.
     
  4. Gav macrumors regular

    Joined:
    Jun 23, 2007
    #4
    They use Mobile chips for a reason. Seriously, you'd have a heap of melting plastic if they shoved a desktop processor in there.

    Whats wrong with the current Core 2 Duos anyway? They are still pretty high-end (unless you count the 'Extreme' range)

    Although saying that, they could do with going up to the 2.4Ghz ones...
     
  5. SolidShadow macrumors member

    Joined:
    Jul 2, 2007
    Location:
    New Brunswick, Canada
    #5
    I realize memories might be a tad short but the base imac case design can handle a desktop chip without melting down. The G5 imac was practically the same and it was a desktop chip. The intel mobile processor is the exception in the imac line.

    I'm not saying they will or won't Re-introduce a desktop processor in a future imac but i will say that is is most certainly possible.
     
  6. Cromulent macrumors 603

    Cromulent

    Joined:
    Oct 2, 2006
    Location:
    The Land of Hope and Glory
    #6
    Yeah I remember something about someone putting a desktop Core 2 Duo in an iMac and it working fine. Might have to do some Googling unless you have a link?
     
  7. Topper macrumors 65816

    Topper

    Joined:
    Jun 17, 2007
    #7
    Patiently? Speak for yourself :p

    I sure hope you are right. But I don't think so.
     
  8. suneohair macrumors 68020

    suneohair

    Joined:
    Aug 27, 2006
    #8
    Different socket. You can't put a Conroe in a Merom board.

    I am prepared to wait til the end of the year. Everyday it gets easier to not have a computer. I get more reading done and what not. Plus, I am a Philosophy major so when uni starts back up I will be a star if they wait a while to update :)
     
  9. SolidShadow macrumors member

    Joined:
    Jul 2, 2007
    Location:
    New Brunswick, Canada
    #9
    Yeah I'm having serious issues with being patient. I almost put in an order for a Macpro today. It was easy waiting while I was saving up for one and counting on WWDC, but it's harder now that I can pull the trigger when I choose.
    I'm waiting to hear about the intel price drop and it's possible effects. Beyond that I may not wait despite the outcome. CS3 is sitting on my desk whispering ideas to me every day.
    A creative man can only take so much temptation.
     
  10. sdhollman thread starter macrumors regular

    Joined:
    Nov 16, 2005
    Location:
    Toronto, Ontario
    #10
    I was being a dork. I have been chomping at the bit flip-flopping on whether to buy or hold off, I am usually patient but it is being tested. I do not think there has been a wait this long for a pro refresh since the second revision of the G5. That was when we were all waiting for 3ghz to come out and all we got was dual 2.5! That was when we all started to feel duped by the G5 promise.
     
  11. suneohair macrumors 68020

    suneohair

    Joined:
    Aug 27, 2006
    #11
    As a designer myself as well, it is EXTREMELY tough to wait. I have so many sketches and so much pseudo-code written down waiting to be used and played with. Seriously, everyday I want to pull the trigger. At this point for a stock Mac Pro with bluetooth I am only paying $1900 flat. Which makes it more tempting to buy. My mother might donate to the fund as well, bringing it to about $1650.

    $500 off for ACD
    $276 saved by buying a gift card here
    $250 for my mom

    $826 saved in total. Pretty substantial. But, I can hold out and get a better machine and upgrade even better than I had planned. Which would be a better use of the money as opposed to buying the year old machine. Yeah I am waiting.
     
  12. sdhollman thread starter macrumors regular

    Joined:
    Nov 16, 2005
    Location:
    Toronto, Ontario
    #12
    Hey nice deal, can I borrow some gift cards. ;P
    I need way better video cards than they are offering for my 3D apps!
     
  13. iW00t macrumors 68040

    iW00t

    Joined:
    Nov 7, 2006
    Location:
    Defenders of Apple Guild
    #13
    I am honestly very curious to see a link.

    Aren't the laptop processors and desktop processors of differing sockets?
     
  14. newportmac macrumors member

    Joined:
    May 23, 2007
    #14
    Man.. I would buy today.. when the updates come you could list it on eBay and make money at the price your getting it at.. A no brainer man.
     
  15. macenforcer macrumors 65816

    macenforcer

    Joined:
    Jun 9, 2004
    Location:
    Colorado
    #15
    Time to buy is when you need it. Guess you guys don't need a fast computer. :rolleyes:
     
  16. Umbongo macrumors 601

    Umbongo

    Joined:
    Sep 14, 2006
    Location:
    England
    #16
    The G5 chips in iMacs had a TDP of around 40-45W I think, Merom C2D is 35W and Conroe is 65W.
     
  17. SolidShadow macrumors member

    Joined:
    Jul 2, 2007
    Location:
    New Brunswick, Canada
    #17
    I would figure that's where a new case and top notch design skills would come into play.
     
  18. SolidShadow macrumors member

    Joined:
    Jul 2, 2007
    Location:
    New Brunswick, Canada
    #18
    Time to buy is when I choose and you have no knowledge of what I need/desire. Your statement sir, is a troll.
     
  19. Wild-Bill macrumors 68030

    Wild-Bill

    Joined:
    Jan 10, 2007
    Location:
    bleep
    #19
    Thanks for the useless post, as usual, macenforcer. :rolleyes::rolleyes:

    Go play with your Mac Pro and leave us alone.
     
  20. slughead macrumors 68040

    slughead

    Joined:
    Apr 28, 2004
    #20
    You don't need a fast computer to post troll comments on MacRumors, either... Well apparently, you do. ;)

    Personally, I want a new video card. The X1900's heat issues are really annoying.
     
  21. sdhollman thread starter macrumors regular

    Joined:
    Nov 16, 2005
    Location:
    Toronto, Ontario
    #21
    I would like it it if they even just kept the same processors and updated the base video card little so that I do not have to upgrade it, and maybe put that extra money towards the RAM upgrade.
     

Share This Page