Intel resumes chipset shipments for PCs not affected by flaw

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by fblack, Feb 8, 2011.

1. fblack macrumors 6502a

fblack

Well, this is kind of interesting. I wonder if Apple would actually do this and include these chips in the new MBPs?

It just seems to me that many average customers might shy away from anything that has been categorized as a flaw. The other thing is, what if more issues show up down the road with these chips, that sounds like a recipe for a class-action lawsuit.

http://www.techspot.com/news/42310-intel-resumes-chipset-shipments-for-pcs-not-affected-by-flaw.html

2. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

Only the SATA 3Gb/s ports are affected. Most likely Intel will just fix the SATA 3Gb/s controller and leave everything else like they are now so if there is an issue, it will be in both, "defective" and "fixed" chipset. Anyway, the SATA 3Gb/s issue is something Intel expected that less than 5% would get and even then, it would most likely take several years to happen.

There are always risks when you're buying man-made technology.

3. menomano macrumors member

The average consumer doesn't even know about this issue. People will buy laptops with or without the new chipset and that's it.

4. CorporateFelon macrumors regular

CorporateFelon

Are you suggesting that we start buying animal made technology?

5. panzer06 macrumors 68030

panzer06

Maybe he thinks machines would never make mistakes. :) However, since all the machines we currently use are designed and programed by man I think we'll still see the occasional flaw.

Cheers,

6. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

That's exactly what I mean. There may always be flaws when buying something that has been designed by another human being.

Intel could have just swiped this under the mat. Instead of that, they decided to replace all chipsets, resulting one billion $ loss in revenue (or what was it). Most companies would have just ignored an issue like that. Remember what NVidia did with 8600M GT fiasco? They are now replacing defective GPUs with defective GPUs. And that was after a law suit. What Intel did was the right move, I respect their choice.

Even though this issue does indeed suck, it doesn't mean that all Intel products are now flawed.

7. SPEEDwithJJ macrumors 65816

SPEEDwithJJ

What I think is funny about this whole chipset "fiasco" is that it seems like Intel is struck by its own bad karma for "unfairly" driving Nvidia out of the chipset business! :eek:

8. vipergts2207 macrumors 65816

vipergts2207

These were my thoughts on the issue. Oh sweet karmic retribution.