Intel roadmap reveals 10-core Xeon E5-2600 V2 Ivy Bridge CPU

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by vander, Oct 17, 2012.

1. vander macrumors member

This article over at engadget:

http://www.engadget.com/2012/10/17/intel-roadmap-reveals-10-core-xeon-e5-2600-v2-cpu/

May be a sneak peak into the next CPU for the upgraded MacPro, two of these suckers would make for a pretty nice workstation. The timing 3rd quarter 2013 lines up with Tim Cook's comments about a late 2013 update. While I don't really want to wait till late 2013 for an update, this might make it worth the wait...

2. theSeb macrumors 604

theSeb

I can't imagine this being in the Mac Pro considering how much the 8 cores cost.

3. StephenCampbell macrumors 65816

Yes, this must be why Cook said "later next year."

I imagine the 20 core Mac Pro will start at $6000 or $6500. Currently just the basic 12 core machine with the fastest clockspeed is $6200.

4. Macsonic macrumors 65816

Macsonic

It's interesting. Though now it's all speculation if Apple will use this cpus to the 2013 Mac Pros. Everything depends on pricing and knowing Apple they will look into how fast will this sell. Like what everyone says, the Mac Pro is not Apple's high priority now.

5. avemestr macrumors regular

With Intels previous performance regarding hitting the expected shipping dates, I somehow doubt these will go into a Mac Pro in late 2013.

6. Umbongo macrumors 601

Umbongo

They will replace the 8-cores at similar, if not the same, price points.

7. theSeb macrumors 604

theSeb

Really? That is good news, yet... call me Mr. Negative, but I don't believe we will see a Mac Pro with single or dual 8 core CPUs; never mind 10-core. I hope that I am proven wrong.

8. Umbongo macrumors 601

Umbongo

It's what Intel has been doing for the past 3 years. Westmere replaced Nehalem with a 4% price increase on dual processors. E3 V2 replaced the first version at the same price: http://ark.intel.com/products/series/53495

With more cores I expect their to be a small price increase, but the market will dictate that.

9. G4DP macrumors 65816

I would say Intel's fall in profits and sales are more likely to determine the future price of CPU's like this.

10. Umbongo macrumors 601

Umbongo

Well the market determined those things too ;). Note that the Data Center Group isn't the reason for the fall in profits. They maintained profit year on year and increased revenue. So maybe Intel will feel they can squeeze them, maybe they won't push it.

11. Lesser Evets macrumors 68040

Lesser Evets

These sorts of expectation-raising posts almost always fall flat. Beware of Apple's complete disregard for exceeding possibilities and price-points.

Luddite thinking.

Sooner or later it will have to. Processors will keep going with development until even a microwave will probably have 12 cores. I wouldn't be surprised to see a 10-core or 12-core Pro next year or the year beyond that.

12. theSeb macrumors 604

theSeb

Sure, they will. But I am specifically talking about the 2013 Mac Pro and not microwaves in the future. Sorry, but it's hard to remain optimistic. I can only do it for so long - there is nothing "Luddite" about that.

What technology am I fearing?

13. Lesser Evets macrumors 68040

Lesser Evets

In that case, DON'T be optimistic. Apple has always destroyed the optimistic dreams of consumers. 2013 might be delightful for MacPro buyers... but it might be sick.

In fact, try lower speculation to give you a wry boost on the day the next Pro emerges. Something like "6-core Pros with a new case, but no USB 3 or TB"...since that is probably going to closer to what will appear.

14. vander thread starter macrumors member

I expect the hex core may be the entry level configuration, but a 10 or 12 core is a possible higher end configuration. As I earlier posted, I'd like to see two 10s or 12s for that matter as the top end machine.

15. xgman macrumors 601

xgman

Here is a scary thought. What if Apple doesn't re-do the Mac pro? Then we will likely be limited to 4 core products for some time to come.

16. El Awesome macrumors 6502

El Awesome

MAYBE the new iMac will include a hexcore i7...
    If they do, I guess there will be lots of people building hackintoshes.

17. Wild-Bill macrumors 68030

Wild-Bill

Then ill have a screaming-fast Hackint0sh and the Mac Pro Feedback inbox @ Apple will floweth over with nasty comments from many people.

18. theSeb macrumors 604

theSeb

I'll eat a hat if that happens.

19. xgman macrumors 601

xgman

That would be nice, with 32gb ram, almost doable. I'm jealous of all the new releases with ner a mention of the ole Mac pro anymore. :(

20. bearcatrp macrumors 68000

With the price of the current dual processor mac pro's sky high, don't think to many folks could afford a mac pro with these processors unless you get a second morgage to pay for it. Cheaper to build a hackintoch or just switch to windows or linux. Still think apple dropped the mac pro line in favor of the imac. Guess we will see soon enough.

21. El Awesome macrumors 6502

El Awesome

A hackintosh is cheaper anyway, but a hackintosh will never be a Mac Pro. It's not just about raw power in a Mac Pro...

I somehow can imagine Apple claiming the super-revolutionary 20-core Mac Pro with two of these beasts... for the price of a detached house...

22. JesterJJZ macrumors 68020

JesterJJZ

The people that NEED MacPros don't care how much they cost. When one or two jobs will pay for it, the cost is irrelevant.

23. vander thread starter macrumors member

It is interesting to note that during the most recent product intros, iMacs have been the computers on stage running the presentations. Clearly, a company such as Apple would want to "show off" their very best. But on stage its not the Mac Pro but two iMacs. I'm not sure how long its been since a Mac Pro was used but I know its been a few years at least. Very disappointing.

I love my 2010 8 core, but its starting to show its age. That's why I got so excited when I saw the Engadget article I posted at the beginning of this thread. While I agree with a lot of you that Apple given their history, we should not expect too much from them, we can at least hope that the next machine would end up with this 10 core chip.

24. ActionableMango macrumors 604

ActionableMango

Disappointing, but understandable. In the past it was impressive to show a tower of power. You could almost say the bigger the better. Nowadays having a large desktop case with lots of wires appears clunky and antiquated.

25. deconstruct60 macrumors 604

The entry may still be a Quad core skewed for higher clock rates. Just like the Sandy Bridge is.

Also like Sandy Bridge it is unlikely that the E5 1600 v2 series will get the maximum number of cores. So a single CPU package models are unlikely to have 10. 8 would be a step up.

Apple isn't likely to sell single E5 26000 models with an empty CPU socket. The whole notion of buy significant parts later or sanctioned DIY CPU upgrades has no track record with Apple's actions for over a decade.

The other issue with the chart is folks look closely is the the 1600 series appears to be pushed out into late Q3. If so that pushes a more likely date for a Ivy Bridge model into Q4 ( given Intel's recent track record delays between 'launch' and volume availability ).

12s? No.