Intel Security Upate freezes my computer!?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by rickyrobb, Jun 15, 2010.

1. rickyrobb macrumors newbie

In the last two years when I have attempted to update my security on my Macbook Pro (Tiger OS) it has either not completed the download or frozen my computer. I've had to back up and erase my hard drive twice and reload everything. Is there some sort of bug in this update? I want to update to snow leopard but when I've tried with the upgrade disk it tells me that Snow Leopard will not install on my OS. Will the security update facilitate that?

-Confused and stressed

2. belvdr macrumors 603

What security update are you talking about? The Snow Leopard upgrade applies to users of Leopard, not Tiger.

3. rickyrobb thread starter macrumors newbie

Sorry the security upgrade and snow leopard upgrade were two different things.

The security upgrade is the 2009-005 Intel security upgrade. I try to download it and it usually doesn't do a complete download or something goes wrong towards the end. I even downloaded it onto my friend's computer, transferred it to min via USB and then tried to install it but my computer froze. I took my comp into the Apple store and they found nothing wrong with the hardware so they just reinstalled Tiger. Now I still can't download the upgrade and I don't want to go through the same comp freezing/erase/reinstall fiasco a few months down the line.

On a separate issue I was wanting to just upgrade to Snow Leopard in hopes of a more reliable and efficient OS. I tried it with just the upgrade disk and it wouldn't work, saying 'Snow Leopard will only install in OS 10.5 or later'. I was told if I got this Tiger security upgrade it could allow me to d/l Snow Leopard. Sorry, that's a lot. Hope it's not confusing. I'm confused. :) Thanks for the response.

4. belvdr macrumors 603

Downloading a security update will not suddenly allow you to upgrade from Tiger to Snow Leopard. Whoever told you this was mistaken.

I would skip the security update and buy the retail version of Snow Leopard. It runs $169 for SL, iLife '09, and iWork. Why they won't separate iWork is beyond me. A cheaper method may be to find a retail copy of Leopard on eBay and then use your SL upgrade disk.

If you still want to try the security update, you need to be at 10.4.11 first. If you use Software Update, it should resolve these dependencies.