Intel Serial ATA MBP Controller

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by ACiB708, Dec 29, 2008.

1. ACiB708 macrumors regular

Hi all, quick question here.
    I have a MBP and I plan to upgrade the 200GB 5400 RPM stock HDD for WD's 320GB 7200 RPM.

I went to system profiler and found out that it actually says that Intel SATA controller runs at 1.5 GB/s so I was confused because if I'm going to buy an HDD that runs at 3 GB/s but if my computer does not even support that speed, then what's the point right? But I did some more research and found out that the stock MBP (previous gen 4,1. 2.4 GHz) HDD is Fujitsu MHY2200BH which runs at 1.5 GB/s. So my question is If I upgrade to the 3 GB/s HDD will the Intel SATA controller support it and run at 3 GB/s? I mean is system profiler only stating that Intel SATA controller runs at that speed because it is the speed it's running at right now, or is it showing a fixed speed that the controller has regardless of the HDD speed (1.5/3GB/s)?

System Profiler Info:

Intel ICH8-M AHCI:

Vendor: Intel
    Product: ICH8-M AHCI
    Speed: 1.5 Gigabit
    Description: AHCI Version 1.10 Supported

FUJITSU MHY2200BH:

Capacity: 186.31 GB
    Model: FUJITSU MHY2200BH
    Revision: 0081000D
    Serial Number: K43BT882HBTG
    Native Command Queuing: Yes
    Queue Depth: 32
    Removable Media: No
    Detachable Drive: No
    BSD Name: disk0
    Mac OS 9 Drivers: No
    Partition Map Type: GPT (GUID Partition Table)
    S.M.A.R.T. status: Verified

Thanks! Hope I was at least a bit clear.

2. J the Ninja macrumors 68000

Unless you plan on throwing an X-25 in there, which you evidently aren't, it won't matter. 1.5Gbps = 1500Mb/s (roughly) = 196MB/s. Factor in overhead, and you're left with about 150MB/s of bandwidth. You'll be lucky if the WD can use 2/3rds of that.

If you do it, do let us know about the upgrade results, as I'm thinking of putting that drive in my own machine.

3. kastenbrust macrumors 68030

kastenbrust

It actually doesnt make a blind bit of difference, theres no way the hard drive can match the speed your logic board can intake data so i wouldnt worry, its going to work, the only reason it appears faster is because the new Hard Drive your getting is 7200 rpm as opposed to 5400, you should notice a rather large increase in the speed MAC OS X runs at. The main thing is that its a sata connection :)

:apple: