Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

dhdave

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 23, 2001
NJ
I just read this and found it very interesting.

In discussions with business partners and analysts, however, sources said Intel has disclosed Banias will be introduced at 1.4GHz to 1.6GHz and will outperform its own higher-clocked mobile Pentium 4 chips running at more than 2GHz on benchmark tests.
But AMD and mobile users aren't the only ones who stand to gain from Banias' performance marks. The chip's performance over faster Pentium 4 chips could lend credence to a lawsuit filed by a handful of PC buyers against Intel this summer. The suit, filed in the 3rd Judicial Circuit in Madison County, Ill., claims early versions of the Pentium 4 processor did not outperform older Pentium III chips as the chip maker claimed.
Seems to me a lot of us lately have been falling prey to Megahertz hype when begging, pleading and screaming at Apple procure faster chips. Even Intel realizes that MHZ are just one measure and often not the best one.

mischief

macrumors 68030
Aug 1, 2001
Santa Cruz Ca
ROTFLMAO!!!!!!

BWAAAAAHAAHAHAHAAHAAAHAHAHAHAAHAHHAAHAHAHAAA!!!!:D :D :D

(whipes tear, staggers to feet.... Reads excerpts again.)

AHAAHAHAHAAHAAAHAHAHAHAAHAHHAAHAHAHAAA!!!!:D :D :D

Dear lord that's funny.:D :p

barkmonster

macrumors 68020
Dec 3, 2001
Lancashire
I can just picture those blue guys crying in an advert and then these other guys with yellow costumes come flying in on laptops and smashing into a big 2Ghz sign, smashing it to pieces.

It's good that intel are admitting their chips are inefficient at last, If they'd just carried on with the Pentium 3 and added DDR to the design they wouldn't have had the numbers to compete with the Athlons performance at the same clockspeed so I guess the Pentium 4 was designed to LOOK fast and now they've made a chip that actually performs fast they've got a lot of explaining to do.

ha ha :D

Mephisto

macrumors member
Jul 18, 2002
I wonder if Mac people will begin to "buy into" the mhz myth, if it begins to favor them some time soon.

Mr. Anderson

Moderator emeritus
Nov 1, 2001
VA
That's nice and all, and a pie in the face of Intel, but it also means that its faster than the chips Apple currently uses by an even larger margine.

I certainly hope the Power4 kicks ass!

D

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.