Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

~Shard~

macrumors P6
Jun 4, 2003
maxterpiece said:
How about a chip that runs just at G4 speed but uses like 1/4 the power? That would get me excited. Oh, and make it cheap too.

I think you'd be surprised to see just how many people would indeed be quite content with this scenario. ;)

In the battle between more power and better battery life, many laptop owners would choose the latter, not the former.

nagromme

macrumors G5
May 2, 2002
QCassidy352 said:
Merom sounds like a nice bump, but hardly earth-shattering... the others sound more impressive to me.
20% more performance (REAL performance, not Ghz) in seven months isn't earth-shattering? Are you new to Macs? :p

Plus they'll be 64-bit like the G5.

I like those gaming benchmarks against AMD. However, when they say 180 average fps in Quake 4, what they don't tell you is that it probably dips down as far as 120 ;)

jabooth

macrumors member
Feb 28, 2006
England
nagromme said:
Core Duo and Core Solo went straight to Mac the instant they were available--and those were the FIRST of the big transition.

I see no reason to expect we'd have to wait when Conroe and Merom appear. Sometimes a new model isn't ready for other reasons besides the processor, but there's no reason to assume the worst.

True. We already know Merom is pin compatible with current Core Duos, so assuming Merom is used in the iMac it shouldn't present too many problems...

Still, could we see a Conroe powered iMac?

Personally, I doubt it... on a side note does anyone know if Conroe will use a different socket to Merom?

strider42

macrumors 65816
Feb 1, 2002
maxterpiece said:
Yeah, really... Wasn't a big part of the rationale to switch to intel that we would be getting higher performance/watt?

Performance per watt means higher performance at the same level of power usage. You know, kind of like 20% better performance at the same battery life. So this is delivering EXACTLY what steve jobs said it would. It wasn't about better battery life, it was about more power without frying the computer, and more power being available in a laptop. battery performance is obviously important to, but these will smoke the G4's at the same power usage. That's a GOOD thing.

amateurmacfreak

macrumors 6502a
Sep 8, 2005
runninmac said:
Oh I just relized I have been saying it wrong this whole time, I always thought it was Mem-rom... me and my dyslexia
Eh, I'm worst. I've been thinking mem-or-rame. Don't ask how I got that. :rolleyes:

anastasis

macrumors member
Apr 6, 2002
Houston, TX
And this is precisely why Apple jumped ship from IBM. They have nothing to compete with this... And can you imagine a dual quad-core Mac?? :eek:

Legacy

macrumors 6502
Jul 27, 2005
London
Hmm...well the G4 was dead on the mobile mac platform and mini...but how will Conroe really compare to the Quad G5? Given that the Pentium M architecture performs at around clock-for-clock the same as a G5 equivalent, we would need two Conroes at at least 2.8Ghz to match or beat the Quad G5..right?

boncellis

macrumors 6502
Feb 9, 2006
Salt Lake City
~Shard~ said:
...In the battle between more power and better battery life, many laptop owners would choose the latter, not the former.

I think you're right, Shard, as usual. The question is, now that the performance (at least according to these numbers) is much improved, will Intel do something to enhance the battery life? Apple portables were stuck with relatively little innovation for so long that perhaps more power is a play to compensate for any perceived repuation they might have acquired.

Platform

macrumors 68030
Dec 30, 2004
I wonder, by the time I will be in the market for a new Mac, they will be something like 2000% faster :eek: :D

Forevercoolin

macrumors newbie
Jul 18, 2002
Woodcrest in Power Macs

Would'nt Woodcrest as a replacement for the Xeon be the only proc that coluld be used in a dual proc configeration. Therefore it would be the logical replacement for the high-end Power Macs. I think most people who buy Power Macs are more concerned with speed not power consumption or price point.

kahos

macrumors member
Dec 2, 2005
d.perel said:
cool stuff... laaaaame names;)

Well those are the intel "code name" for the chip

I dont know about you but i dont think a "7447" G4 sounds any better then a "merom" core duo

Anyways, these conroe benchmark agains the athlon 64 x2 are quite impressive

ChrisA

macrumors G5
Jan 5, 2006
Redondo Beach, California
Why would you want any of these for a PowerMAc?

If you are building a notebook, or a small desktop like a Mini or an iMac then "power matters." You can't get the heat out of such a small enclosure without a huge noisy fan. So use these new chips when compute power per watt matters

What I don't understand is way you'd want them in a Power Mac replacement If you want a Power Mac replacement you can make a nice one today. No waiting. Simply build one of these
http://tinyurl.com/zsaxg
but put it in a pretty box and load Mac OSX on it The specs are just about right for a PoerMac. It's the only thing I've seen that would seriously outperform a G5 Quad Core Powermac It that's not enough Sun has four chip. eight core Opertoon boxes that have been sellig for some time now.

I just don't see Intel catching up to AMD at the high end.

Mikael

macrumors regular
Aug 4, 2005
Gothenburg, Sweden
Legacy said:
Hmm...well the G4 was dead on the mobile mac platform and mini...but how will Conroe really compare to the Quad G5? Given that the Pentium M architecture performs at around clock-for-clock the same as a G5 equivalent, we would need two Conroes at at least 2.8Ghz to match or beat the Quad G5..right?
Say again? If what you say about Pentium-M vs G5 is true, then two Conroes at 2.1GHz would match the current G5 Quad.

ChrisA said:
Check out Anand's benchmarks of Conroe that were just published:

http://anandtech.com/tradeshows/showdoc.aspx?i=2713

They benchmark it against an overclocked Athlon64 FX-60 (@ 2.8GHz). The Conroe CPU runs at 2.66GHz and thoroughly smashes the Athlon64 performance wise. It should also be a good deal cooler.

This sure doesn't look good for AMD.

EDIT: Might be worth noting that Intel supplied both systems and most of the benchmarks. Anand couldn't find anything fishy about the systems when he inspected them, though.

Flash3441

macrumors newbie
Oct 24, 2003
Sydney AU
Hi everyone! I'm a first time macrumors poster but long time reader.

I'm curious to know why some of you automatically assume that Conroe is going into the PowerMacs? Maybe you all know something I don't, but Woodcrest is suppose to be replacing Xeon and Xeon processors have found there way into not just servers but workstations in the PC market. I would think that Woodcrest would be the preferred processor in PowerMacs rather than Conroe if the price is right.

Electro Funk

macrumors 65816
Dec 8, 2005
The Opium Garden
~Shard~ said:
Great news, it's nice to see some of this made "official" by Intel, as all I had heard up to this point was unconfirmed #s.

Conroe PowerMacs are going to be great, and it will be nice to see the Xserve get Woodcrest. :cool:

Agreed... My credit card will take another punishing when me sees a merom macbook pro;)

Mord

macrumors G4
Aug 24, 2003
UK
Gah

no conroe cpu will ever be used in a powermac, ever woodcrest is whats going in powermacs, conroe is not an SMP chip, apple is not giveing up on dual physical cpu workstations, and will at least have quads, if not an all quad lineup.

ksz

macrumors 68000
Oct 28, 2003
USA
Flash3441 said:
Hi everyone! I'm a first time macrumors poster but long time reader.

I'm curious to know why some of you automatically assume that Conroe is going into the PowerMacs? Maybe you all know something I don't, but Woodcrest is suppose to be replacing Xeon and Xeon processors have found there way into not just servers but workstations in the PC market. I would think that Woodcrest would be the preferred processor in PowerMacs rather than Conroe if the price is right.
Woodcrest is meant for the server market so it's possible Apple will use it in the new XServes. The PowerMac's replacement may well use Conroe, which fits the workstation category.

dashiel

macrumors 6502a
Nov 12, 2003
ChrisA said:

i don't quite agree with you there. i used to think the same thing about PPC when they had a significant lead over intel around the G3 era. coupled with the RISC/CISC marketing it seemed intel was on the way out.

while i do believe they will catch and surpass AMD for a while, the very fact that intel has legitimate competition is a good thing for apple. neither ibm or motorola cared about the desktop platform or apple's small orders; at least not beyond the free marketing they got by piggy backing on the jobsian RDF field. motorola is almost completely focused on the embedded market, while ibm is laughing themselves silly with the next gen gaming consoles and to a lesser extent their server market. intel meanwhile is probably a bit worried about microsoft's "defection" with the xbox 360 and looking for a high profile client to get/keep them in the living room.

Forevercoolin

macrumors newbie
Jul 18, 2002
The problem with putting a Conroe in a power mac is that the Conroe would not be capable of a dual proc config. Only the woodcrest would be. Unless you know something we dont.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.