Intel shows off Light Peak, OSX compatible!

Discussion in 'Apple, Inc and Tech Industry' started by bloodycape, Sep 24, 2009.

1. bloodycape macrumors 65816

2. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

Umm I don't think running OS X on a non-apple computer is allow. See Psystar.

3. bloodycape thread starter macrumors 65816

Yes that is why I ask if they can run it? Then again Intel does make the parts for Apple so they may have specially rights?

4. Berlepsch macrumors 6502

Berlepsch

Why should a "non-end user", such as a developer at intel be restricted by the EULA? That wouldn't make sense for either party.

5. QuantumLo0p macrumors 6502a

QuantumLo0p

Psystar is in legal trouble because they are loading OS-X onto their hardware. Other companies, such as the makers EFI-X, seem to be okay because they are not loading OS-X onto anything. As for an end user loading OS-X onto non-Apple hardware via a Hackintosh or with EFI-X, um....:rolleyes:

6. pdjudd macrumors 601

Psystar's problem isn't necessarily making a hackintosh, Apple's biggest beef is the fact that Psystar is also selling them and running their business doing that.

7. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

Given Intel's relationship with Apple, it wouldn't surprise me if Apple gave them the OK and maybe even helped them out with this.

8. thegoldenmackid macrumors 604

thegoldenmackid

Well, I feel like my hackintosh is now okay. As I have a very good relationship with Apple.

9. sushi Moderator emeritus

sushi

Agree with this.

Light Peak definitely seems Apple like.

10. pdjudd macrumors 601

I concur - Intel isn't about to take an action that will cause a rift in a relationship with a company as popular as Apple just to save a few bucks. Given the demand that Mac's have, leading to the amount of boards that Apple buys means that Intel is not going to risk a rift.

I think that this was a specialty setup that a standard Mac (not even the pro) could do it (perhaps because Apple's boards were not compatible). My guess is that Intel did indeed contact Apple to get their approval.

Plus, It's not as if Intel is going to sell them. Its a specialty demo.

11. MWPULSE macrumors 6502a

MWPULSE

It stands as almost common sense that apple will of granted permission to intel in using a different hardware specs. I mean if intel is going to be designing CPUs n the core architecture for most of the apple line up, then apple are going to want it to run smoothly so that they know they are getting their moneys worth

12. TallGlassOfFail macrumors member

When intel provide all the hardware, what in particularly in legal terms constitutes a mac compared to this rig with same/similar hardware.

I am sure they don't really care, apple is hardly going to sue them for it, what will they say? "Oh we are suing you because you demoed our OS on hardware we did not approve of", because they would just be shooting themselves in the foot when you think of the special deals apple gets with Intel, like the macbook air chip that was specially manufactured for them.

13. pdjudd macrumors 601

The SLA dictates Apple branded hardware - that doesn’t mean Intel branded so alot. Oh and by the way, Intel is only one provider of Apple components - there are tons of vendors that apple deals with.

Apple is obligated to protect its IP. Intel is also bound contractually to Apple - why would they kill a highly profitable partnership with a company whose products are in high demand. And I doubt Apple cares that they would be shooting themselves in the foot. They would have an iron clad case. Intel is not a dummy.

14. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

EULA= End User License Agreement

Intel != end user

15. twoodcc macrumors P6

twoodcc

that's exactly what i was thinking

16. PaperMacWriter macrumors 6502

PaperMacWriter

Apple Proposed/Worked with Intel on Light Peak?

Very interesting, one can only wonder the effects. Via Engadget

SG :apple:

17. jaw04005 macrumors 601

jaw04005

Apparently, it was an Apple Mac Pro motherboard.

18. thejadedmonkey macrumors 604

thejadedmonkey

I look forward to what it'll do for computing, but I can't see it overtaking USB as a standard for a very long while

19. bloodycape thread starter macrumors 65816

What I find odd is Sony is supporting or something according to that article, which is a bit odd since its not a standard they came up with(or is popular yet).

20. CrackedButter macrumors 68040

CrackedButter

To call the machine in the demo a hackintosh is just sensationalist journalism by Engadget. Especially when Intel doesn't need to 'hack' anything, they supply the processors.:rolleyes:

Certainly not end users either, they do have to modify OS X after all, otherwise how can they get LP on the Mac in the first place.