Intel sooner that we think????

MacAficionado

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 5, 2002
435
0
An awesome place
I keep thinking with the delay of updated ibooks, that maybe we'll see Intel Macs sooner that later.
What if the performance of a Pentium M or even a Celeron M is equal to that of a G4 while using Rosetta?
Anybody with some processor knowledge know how far behind a G4 is compared to an Intel mobile?

So my thoughts are that if the transition is going to be as seamless as it seams, why not start launching Mac Mini, iBooks with the Intels? Remember, Steve said that by that time next year there were already going to be Intel machines out, not what I keep hearing that they will come out at that time next year.

Just a thought.
 

Dont Hurt Me

macrumors 603
Dec 21, 2002
6,056
6
Yahooville S.C.
With IBMs failure and Motostinks stagnation lets hope so. Intel has stuff today that smokes PPC. Jobs did right only he took years and years and years.......
 

MacFan25863

macrumors 6502a
Jun 20, 2004
558
0
Jobs: "Now that we've forced developers to recompile every single program they make, what more can we do to piss them off? I KNOW! I'll make them do it in a third the time I told them they would have! Brilliant! How did I ever become such a genius?"
 

skubish

macrumors 68030
Feb 2, 2005
2,669
0
Ann Arbor, Michigan
I think moving to intel is probably the best thing for Apple. I think we will see alot more software for the Mac now. It should be easier to compile a windows program for x86 Mac than a PPC Mac and Virtual PC will probably run better.
 

alex_ant

macrumors 68020
Feb 5, 2002
2,473
0
All up in your bidness
If there's one thing I've learned in the past month it's that no matter how hard I try, I cannot come even close to guessing what is going on in Steve Jobs' head. I've been trying for years and I just can't do it. Sure, such and such would seem the "logical" step, but what does that mean? He could turn Apple into a Feng Shui consulting company tomorrow - what would I know? I wouldn't be THAT surprised. He released the Flower Power iMac, a laptop computer that looked like an Avon case, a mouse with no button. He is not human, and does not obey the known laws of the universe.
 

ksz

macrumors 68000
Oct 28, 2003
1,670
60
San Jose, CA
skubish said:
I think moving to intel is probably the best thing for Apple. I think we will see alot more software for the Mac now. It should be easier to compile a windows program for x86 Mac than a PPC Mac and Virtual PC will probably run better.
I'm not so sure. Mac OS X is Unix, so is Linux. Linux has been available for x86 since its inception, but have Windows programs ported to Linux en masse? Remember that developers will be porting primarily from Windows APIs to Mac OS APIs. However, Windows code that is already optimized for Intel MMX/SSE/etc. ought to be easier to port to Mactel.
 

Dont Hurt Me

macrumors 603
Dec 21, 2002
6,056
6
Yahooville S.C.
alex_ant said:
If there's one thing I've learned in the past month it's that no matter how hard I try, I cannot come even close to guessing what is going on in Steve Jobs' head. I've been trying for years and I just can't do it. Sure, such and such would seem the "logical" step, but what does that mean? He could turn Apple into a Feng Shui consulting company tomorrow - what would I know? I wouldn't be THAT surprised. He released the Flower Power iMac, a laptop computer that looked like an Avon case, a mouse with no button. He is not human, and does not obey the known laws of the universe.
Jobs does screw up dont even get me started but one of the biggest screwups was going the PPC Path. We have been number #2 for years. Who likes a # 2??? I dont! Fact is Apple has sunk to single digits. spin it all you want thats the facts jack! PPC is #2. Apples marketshare is a fraction of years past. Good thing for Apple that market has grown by leaps and bounds. plus the short term pod thingys.
 

biohazard6969

macrumors 6502a
Feb 23, 2005
836
0
toronto canada
Dont Hurt Me said:
Jobs does screw up dont even get me started but one of the biggest screwups was going the PPC Path. We have been number #2 for years. Who likes a # 2??? I dont! Fact is Apple has sunk to single digits. spin it all you want thats the facts jack! PPC is #2. Apples marketshare is a fraction of years past. Good thing for Apple that market has grown by leaps and bounds. plus the short term pod thingys.
i'm sorry, correct me if i'm wrong, were u just bashing apple!!! :eek:
 

briangig

macrumors regular
May 16, 2005
176
0
Dont Hurt Me said:
Jobs does screw up dont even get me started but one of the biggest screwups was going the PPC Path. We have been number #2 for years. Who likes a # 2??? I dont! Fact is Apple has sunk to single digits. spin it all you want thats the facts jack! PPC is #2. Apples marketshare is a fraction of years past. Good thing for Apple that market has grown by leaps and bounds. plus the short term pod thingys.
I didnt think jobs was at apple when the ppc switch took place?
 

Catfish_Man

macrumors 68030
Sep 13, 2001
2,579
1
Portland, OR
Dont Hurt Me said:
Jobs does screw up dont even get me started but one of the biggest screwups was going the PPC Path. We have been number #2 for years. Who likes a # 2??? I dont! Fact is Apple has sunk to single digits. spin it all you want thats the facts jack! PPC is #2. Apples marketshare is a fraction of years past. Good thing for Apple that market has grown by leaps and bounds. plus the short term pod thingys.
Someone wasn't around in the 604e/G3 days I see....
 

FFTT

macrumors 68030
Apr 17, 2004
2,952
0
A Stoned Throw From Ground Zero
What many people fail to see is that SJ needed a machine fast enough to prove and refine Mac OSX and the PPC has done that quite well.

Now that his Operating System is regarded as the finest in the industry and has proven itself worthy of the highest security ratings,
Apple is finally in position to go for market share with the aid of Intel
who just so happens to make 80% of the worlds processors.

Personally, I would still love to see a Power5 based workstation, but
Intel already has dual cores in production as well Xeons.

The major bitch factor of available accessories will also be adrdessed
with the Apple-Intel alliance.

Put all this together in a machine that runs ANY OS and people will notice.
 

Mac_Max

macrumors 6502
Mar 8, 2004
404
0
Jobs had nothing to do with PPC. In fact, when he was at NeXT he had the company port NeXT Step to the x86 architecture from the 68K architecture & didn't even touch PPC until coming to Apple once again.
 

EGT

macrumors 68000
Sep 4, 2003
1,606
1
alex_ant said:
If there's one thing I've learned in the past month it's that no matter how hard I try, I cannot come even close to guessing what is going on in Steve Jobs' head. I've been trying for years and I just can't do it. Sure, such and such would seem the "logical" step, but what does that mean? He could turn Apple into a Feng Shui consulting company tomorrow - what would I know? I wouldn't be THAT surprised. He released the Flower Power iMac, a laptop computer that looked like an Avon case, a mouse with no button. He is not human, and does not obey the known laws of the universe.
And isn't it brilliant? :p Gotta love the rollercoaster ride that Jobs is running for us!
 

wdlove

macrumors P6
Oct 20, 2002
16,570
0
Mac_Max said:
Jobs had nothing to do with PPC. In fact, when he was at NeXT he had the company port NeXT Step to the x86 architecture from the 68K architecture & didn't even touch PPC until coming to Apple once again.
In that case IBM can't say that Steve didn't give them plenty of time. So it made the transition easier for Steve since he already had a bias toward the x86 architecture. I don't really think we will see a Intel based Mac until next year, at least from what Steve had to say. It would seem that the earliest would be MWSF '06, with shipping TBA.
 

Coca-Cola

macrumors 6502
Dec 10, 2002
446
0
WA
MacAficionado said:
I keep thinking with the delay of updated ibooks, that maybe we'll see Intel Macs sooner that later.
What if the performance of a Pentium M or even a Celeron M is equal to that of a G4 while using Rosetta?
Anybody with some processor knowledge know how far behind a G4 is compared to an Intel mobile?

So my thoughts are that if the transition is going to be as seamless as it seams, why not start launching Mac Mini, iBooks with the Intels? Remember, Steve said that by that time next year there were already going to be Intel machines out, not what I keep hearing that they will come out at that time next year.

Just a thought.
I agree totally.
 

Josh396

macrumors 65816
Oct 16, 2004
1,128
0
Peoria/Chicago, IL
FFTT said:
What many people fail to see is that SJ needed a machine fast enough to prove and refine Mac OSX and the PPC has done that quite well.

Now that his Operating System is regarded as the finest in the industry and has proven itself worthy of the highest security ratings,
Apple is finally in position to go for market share with the aid of Intel
who just so happens to make 80% of the worlds processors.
This is something I don't understand why other people see. In order for Apple to succeed they had to be different. By staying with PowerPC when OS X was first introduced Apple was totally different then all OS's and other computer companies. Once OS X became what it is today Apple was given the chance to go to x86 chips and show the rest of the computer world what they have to offer. The next few years should be interesting.
 

Josh396

macrumors 65816
Oct 16, 2004
1,128
0
Peoria/Chicago, IL
alex_ant said:
If there's one thing I've learned in the past month it's that no matter how hard I try, I cannot come even close to guessing what is going on in Steve Jobs' head. I've been trying for years and I just can't do it. Sure, such and such would seem the "logical" step, but what does that mean? He could turn Apple into a Feng Shui consulting company tomorrow - what would I know? I wouldn't be THAT surprised. He released the Flower Power iMac, a laptop computer that looked like an Avon case, a mouse with no button. He is not human, and does not obey the known laws of the universe.
This is probably the best thing I have read in the past few days. :D
 

jared_kipe

macrumors 68030
Dec 8, 2003
2,967
1
Seattle
wdlove said:
In that case IBM can't say that Steve didn't give them plenty of time. So it made the transition easier for Steve since he already had a bias toward the x86 architecture. I don't really think we will see a Intel based Mac until next year, at least from what Steve had to say. It would seem that the earliest would be MWSF '06, with shipping TBA.
We can hope, but I don't think we'll see anything till WWDC '06 and possibly all or most products on x86 by MWSF '07. So a question now is... What computers will be ported first?
 

shadowmoses

macrumors 68000
Mar 6, 2005
1,821
0
Maybe we will but i doubt it........What i find really weird is the scarse hardware updates we have seen this year...Especially with the intel annoncement they need to release some fresh stuff to keep sales up....

Hopefully we will see some more cool power PC stuff coming out this summer....

ShadOW ;)
 

MacAficionado

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 5, 2002
435
0
An awesome place
shadowmoses said:
Maybe we will but i doubt it........What i find really weird is the scarse hardware updates we have seen this year...Especially with the intel annoncement they need to release some fresh stuff to keep sales up....

Hopefully we will see some more cool power PC stuff coming out this summer....

ShadOW ;)
That is what has me so suspicious. Is the G4 so far back that there is nowhere to go? Really, if they upgrade the ibooks they will be not too far from the Powerbooks. Especially when you consider that the video cards have to be revised to at least 64MB on the iBooks and that Minis.

Glad to see somebody come back to my point.
 

aldo

macrumors regular
Oct 26, 2003
242
0
England, UK
Dont Hurt Me said:
Jobs does screw up dont even get me started but one of the biggest screwups was going the PPC Path. We have been number #2 for years. Who likes a # 2??? I dont! Fact is Apple has sunk to single digits. spin it all you want thats the facts jack! PPC is #2. Apples marketshare is a fraction of years past. Good thing for Apple that market has grown by leaps and bounds. plus the short term pod thingys.
Actually, we are third now. Linux overtook Apple on the desktop sometime ago in terms of raw sales.
 

dejo

Moderator
Staff member
Sep 2, 2004
15,725
447
The Centennial State
aldo said:
Linux overtook Apple on the desktop sometime ago in terms of raw sales.
Do you have a link to support that? Although I wouldn't be surprised that Linux has more installs, I don't think you can base that on "raw sales". A lot of Linux installations were free.
 

solvs

macrumors 603
Jun 25, 2002
5,693
1
LaLaLand, CA
biohazard_6969 said:
i'm sorry, correct me if i'm wrong, were u just bashing apple!!! :eek:
Apparently you're new around here. This is DHM we're talking about. Loves Apple software, hates Apple hardware. Though, since we're now moving to Intel, I don't understand why people are still b*tching.

aldo said:
Actually, we are third now. Linux overtook Apple on the desktop sometime ago in terms of raw sales.
Are you talking sales or installed user base? Because either way, a lot of Linux distros are free. Plus, you can run it on home built or existing Windows PC. With Apple's you have to buy the hardware. I wouldn't doubt that a lot of people are running Linux, especially on a dual boot with Windows. Let alone businesses.