Intel SSD Doesn't Fit Properly?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by pellets007, Dec 26, 2009.

1. pellets007 macrumors 6502a

pellets007

I have searched both Google and Mroogle for help but have come up empty.

I recently received an Intel SSD 80GB 2.5" for my MacBook (Alu MacBook 13"; the MacBook specific area is pretty dry as far as SSDs go). While it is quite fast and I am content with the speed, one anomaly has arisen. I was walking upstairs with my MacBook closed in hand and embraced to my chest when I heard a rattling noise coming from the sleeping machine. I opened it up to see that the SSD has about 1/2 to 1 inch of movement horizontally and about 1/2 inch vertically. When I put in the new drive I made sure to screw in the bracket nearest to the logicboard (but I later realized that the SSD does not have the nubs the old HDD did and therefore it does little in the way of securing the SSD). I looked at this video on information about how to install the SSD, but as far as I know, I have done everything that he has.

Am I correct in assuming that this is normal? This is my first installation of a new hard drive of any means into a laptop.

2. Mumford macrumors regular

Looks like the guy in the video didn't take the side-brackets off the old harddrive. He even noted that (with some pop-up balloons). Did you remove them from the HDD and add them to the SSD?

3. pellets007 thread starter macrumors 6502a

pellets007

I did not. Are they physically attached the old hard drive? I was not watching the Youtube video in flash which would explain why I didn't see the popup things. Thank you!

EDIT: Never mind, I found an OWC video showing me what to remove. Thank your for you help. :)

Now I just have to find a screwdriver to fit it.

4. rgarjr macrumors 603

rgarjr

You need a Torx 6 to remove those 4 screws from the drive. Should have done your homework before swapping.