Intel SSD Firmware Help

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by KarmaPolice, Mar 28, 2010.

1. KarmaPolice macrumors newbie

Hi everyone. I'm in the "waiting for Arrandale" camp and am considering one of the intel SSD's. All of the reviews suggest updating the firmware. I'm not too experienced with computers and would like some information on what that process involves. Aside from that, I would also like to know the easiest way to transfer the files on the default HDD to the SSD. I will likely use the SSD as the main drive (i don't use too many files), and the HDD for additional storage.

So questions...

1. If anyone knows of any walkthroughs of how to update the firmware and get the SSD up and running, could you give me some links?

2. What is the best way to transfer all of the default stuff on the HDD to the SSD? I've heard this being referred to as "cloning" the HDD and would appreciate the best ways to do it, any necessary programs, etc.

thanks for any help...

2. Ice Dragon macrumors 6502a

Ice Dragon

From what I have read, you download the firmware as an .iso and burn it to a CD and run it that way.

3. MikhailT macrumors 601

That's right. The Intel firmware updater is pretty simple and straightforward.

@Op, do you have time machine running? I suggest just restore from a time machine backup instead of cloning.

4. jawa12083 macrumors member

Wirelessly posted (iPod Touch 2G 8GB: Mozilla/5.0 (iPod; U; CPU iPhone OS 3_1_2 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/528.18 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile/7D11 Safari/528.16)

What a waste if a cd!! Is there no way to use a USB flash drive for this?

5. brentsg macrumors 68030

Feel free to use a CD-RW.

6. KarmaPolice thread starter macrumors newbie

I don't currently have a Mac. I'm in the "waiting for arrandale" camp. I'm assuming time machine just makes a backup. Do i make that backup on the SSD?

Also i guess I'm assuming the firmware should come first.

7. amanset macrumors member

http://unetbootin.sourceforge.net/

Unfortunately there is no Mac version. I guess in theory you could compile the Linux version, but it'd probably be easier in the long run to use the Windows version via Wine or a virtualised Windows install.

Edit:
    Of course you could also do that in a virtualised Linux install as well. *slaps head*

8. fehhkk macrumors 6502a

fehhkk

When I updated mine, not sure exactly what I was missing, but I was burning the .iso to a CD, then trying to boot off of it. I couldn't make the MBP boot off that CD.

So, I just put the SSD into my work laptop (an HP 8530w), and updated the firmware that way.

9. Eddyisgreat macrumors 601

I believe there were some reported issues with the nvidia chipset used in the uMBP, wheras it worked fine with the first gen Macbook Pros.

10. undisturbed316 macrumors newbie

Anyone figure out a way around this? I installed the Intel SSD X-25 160gb G2 in my new 2010 13" Macbook Pro and made a CD out of the new firmware, But when the update was running and got to the point of detecting the new SSD, it was unable to find any.

Btw, i am currently posting with the new MBP using the Intel SSD

11. brand macrumors 601

brand

Those two issues may have nothing to do with each other.

12. undisturbed316 macrumors newbie

nvm, got it to work! just tried burning the cd again, worked 2nd time around