Intel SSD free space issue.

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by calimed, Jan 10, 2012.

1. calimed macrumors member

Hopefully someone has an idea of why this occurs.

I have an Intel 80GB SSD in my MacBook Pro. I do not use Time Machine. I initially could not figure out why my SSD was almost full (besides the obvious that is small). I counted everything up and it came nowhere close. I have 55GB of files yet it says I only have 6 GB free. Every now and then it will say I have up to 14 GB free which I feel is more accurate given the probability of hidden system files. Then it will randomly go back to 6GBish.

Any thoughts?

2. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

For space issues, there are a few things you can try:
    • Begin by restarting your computer as a first step. This sometimes resolves issues.
    • Search with Finder to see if the space is being consumed by a very large file or several large files. Adjust the 50GB in the illustration to whatever size you deem appropriate.
      [​IMG]
    • For Time Machine users on Lion, Time Machine local snapshots may be consuming space.
    • Use OmniDiskSweeper, JDisk Report or GrandPerspective to see how space is being used on your drive. Some of these apps may show more detail than others, so try several.

3. bdodds1985 macrumors 6502a

bdodds1985

I had the same problem until i re installed the OS on the intel drive. I have a 120gb apple and a 120gb intel 320 sata II. I also turned off time machine and local snapshots, and only back up when I feel necessary. finder would tell me one thing and disk utility would tell me another. Ever since I did those two things however, I have not noticed this problem.

I doubt you want to re install like I did, but it really did not take long at all and after turning off time machine and local snapshots while running the OS from the intel in the optical bay drive, I have had no problems.

first, like GGJstudios said, try any one or all of those apps. I use OmniDiskSweeper

4. thundersteele macrumors 68030

My tip is that the sleepimage gets deleted sometimes, which would explain the 8 GB fluctuation. The sleepimage is a copy of the contents of your RAM - I'm just assuming that the OP has 8 GB of RAM.

@GGJstudios
    I see that you dropped DiscInventoryX from your list of recommended tools. Any particular new issues with it?

5. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Time Machine's local snapshots can also chew up space as well.

I use omnidisksweeper to report and exhibit my space utilization

6. fehhkk macrumors 6502a

fehhkk

Yep, that's what it seems likely. Open a terminal window, do a:

ls -la /var/vm

And that will show you the disk space taken by your hibernate/sleep image, which is about the size of your RAM.

7. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

There was some discussion in another thread about that. I had DiscInventory X listed with a (pre-Lion) caveat, as some had reported that it either didn't work with Lion or gave inaccurate results with Lion. Since there are still a few others to choose from, I dropped it to avoid any questions or confusion, until it can be firmly established whether or not it works accurately with Lion.

8. thundersteele macrumors 68030

Yes - this is why the OP stated that he didn't use Time Machine.