Intel SSD slow as balls...

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by MikeSantor, Nov 18, 2009.

1. MikeSantor macrumors regular

So I just got my X25 E G2 in from new egg. I put it in an external enclosure and formated it. Then I used CCC to clone the HD in my mac and transfer it to the SSD. After it was done I shut the Mac down and put the SSD in....

It comes on and is all grey like it usually is, only NO apple logo and NO swirly status icon.

It stays grey for approx 32 seconds THEN the appl logo and swirly status icon shows up for another 10-12 seconds.

That seems about as fast as the stock 5400 RPM drive.

Then I went to open Firefox and it took 2 bounces to open.

Now I wasnt expecting everything to be instant but is 42-44 seconds to boot to the desktop and 2 bounces of Firefox normal?

I shut it down and restarted it 3 times and the symptoms are the same each time. the only thing that is fast is shut down. by the time the mouse button is back to the up position after you click "shut down" this thing is off.

Time to DL a bench test program... anyone know what kind of numbers I should see after I get a bench test prog?

2. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

3. MikeSantor thread starter macrumors regular

Good question. Chicago slang is somewhat rediculous. Kind of like the startup time of this SSD...

X bench disk test says 256.13. what is a "good" score...?

4. Unspoken Demise macrumors 68040

Unspoken Demise

Depends greatly on the time of the year.

5. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

Take a look at the following search string for threads relating to your SSD. Included in there are benchmarks so that you can figure out exactly what could be considered a "good" score.

Intel SSD X25

6. vexatia macrumors regular

not to mention shape (ever watched an egg roll down hill, end over end?)

7. angemon89 macrumors 68000

angemon89

System Preferences > Startup Disk

This is a common problem people have when they change hard drives. Select OSX and you should be good to go.

8. MikeSantor thread starter macrumors regular

I ****ing love you. That brought it down to about a 10 second boot.

So Being a new mac user I will make a hypothesis. Before I did that the Computer didn't know what to boot so it just looked around till it found the bootable image (thus making it take more time) and after I pointed to the startup disk it knew exactly where to look when it is booted?

Again, this is pretty uneducated so let me know how far off I am?

9. Tiki35 macrumors 6502

That sounds right Mike.
    Had it been a PC, it wouldn't have booted at all, you'd be looking at NTLDR error message.
    How much did you pay for your drive?

10. angemon89 macrumors 68000

angemon89

Yep exactly. Your MacBook spent the first 25 seconds after you hit the power button now knowing what the hell to do.

11. MikeSantor thread starter macrumors regular

280 from newegg for the 80 Gig. I have 35~ gigs worth of programs on the SSD then Im purchasing a OTW external HD case w/ Firewire and a WD 7200RPM 500GB drive to put all my music, videos and pictures on. Now I just need to set up a drive for time machine...

But ultimately it was smart enough to figure it out. Thus the reason i switched from PC to mac after 18 years....

Thanks again for all the help guys. I REALLY appreciate it.

12. fehhkk macrumors 6502a

fehhkk

A fast 7200rpm laptop drive scores 50-70 in XBench. Your SSD will score from 250-290... I think that's pretty damn fast, relatively speaking.

13. gotzero macrumors 68040

Every time I clone a boot drive, I always do an upgrade and install to the same version after it is the boot drive in the system. It is a quick way to clear up many unforeseen problems.

14. Kamakzie macrumors member

Sorry for reviving an old thread but I did a search and found this, worked wonderfully!!!

15. hackerwayne macrumors 6502a

hackerwayne

Its a software problem. If you see the grey screen for 20+- seconds that means you didnt set the partition as primary in Startup Disk. Go to System Preferences, click Start-up disk and select the partition you want to start and click restart. It should start under 20 seconds. No, Intel drives aren't slow. Im using Intel 320 series and its awesome

----------

EDIT: didn't know it was an old thread. Sorry.

16. WhiteIphone5 macrumors 65816

WhiteIphone5

Lmfaoooo good question!