Intel SSD X25-M 160GB G2 for macbook pro 13"

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by MrKay, Aug 13, 2010.

  1. MrKay macrumors newbie

    Aug 12, 2010
    Hi guys

    i found an Intel SSD X25-M 160GB G2 for £247 brand new should i buy this for my macbook pro mid 2009 2.26ghz 4gb ram 500gb hard drive or do you guys think i should wait for the 3rd gen i mean for this price is it worth it thanks
  2. redbotsoftware macrumors regular

    Jun 2, 2009
    I just got a SSD for my Macbook, and it works really fast. They had an article on Macworld, about SSD's, and a review and comparison of the OWC SSD's. The thing that caught my attention is they said SSD's slow down over time. And this one has something to prevent that. I'd do some research on that for the intel SSD you're looking at first.
  3. MrKay thread starter macrumors newbie

    Aug 12, 2010
    Has anyone have this ssd if so is it noisy thanks
  4. ntrigue macrumors 68040


    Jul 30, 2007
  5. MrKay thread starter macrumors newbie

    Aug 12, 2010

    thanks for your reply for the price do you think its worth it thanks
  6. kernkraft macrumors 68020


    Jun 25, 2009
    I'd personally wait and put the money towards a future MBP with anti-glare but that's just my personal preference.

    160GB is hardly anything for media, but it's not very future-proof to fill an SSD with media files as the performance deteriorates quicker.

    I'd say that stick with a smaller SSD, try Seagate's Hybrid or even an optibay. Personally, all my computers have 7200rpm HDDs and I am happy. For hardly any money, I have a lot of storage. When it comes to launching applications and booting up, I can wait a few seconds longer.

    You can have twice the storage for one-fifth of the price, if you go HDD. That £200 will be handy with an 13" i3 MBP next year. By that time, these SSDs will be so much cheaper, anyway.
  7. MrKay thread starter macrumors newbie

    Aug 12, 2010

    my web page was not loading then went back tried again went throw how do i delete the other post sorry am a noob at this thanks
  8. MrKay thread starter macrumors newbie

    Aug 12, 2010
  9. Mabyboi macrumors 6502


    Apr 23, 2010
    Ontario, Canada
    I have the 13" MBP 2.4GHz, with the 160 Intel X25-M. Its silent, fast as hell, boots in no time, produces no heat, and is just awesome. I highly recommend it. Just dont be dumb like me and freak out when you install it. (i forgot to format it to mac)
  10. Gabriel GR macrumors 6502a

    Gabriel GR

    Jul 12, 2009
    Athens, Greece
    I've had it for 4-5 months and I couldn't work on a computer with a HDD again as a result I had to buy another two for my desktop and linux laptop.

    And the price is great.
  11. revelated macrumors 6502a


    Jun 30, 2010
    Just deleted my post...what's up with that? I was pointing him to my experience with this exact same SSD.
  12. kernkraft macrumors 68020


    Jun 25, 2009
    I just read my earlier post and I'm sorry for the slightly confusing language, but I was multitasking.

    My point was that after a 500GB HDD, moving 'into' a 160GB SSD is a large compromise in terms of size. In a way that's fine, you can use your HDD as an external drive with a USB enclosure and keep the essential files on the SSD. But overall, where you will see the benefit is the boot-time and when launching applications. Your browsing, your media experience, the actual usage of most application will hardly change. In fact, you'll have to part from most media files, so it's going to be worse. It is fair to say that many of the SSD's benefits are illusionary, but others might argue with this point.

    There is another issue. Your MBPs' value is around £700, maybe more? If you considered getting a new one, you will want a new one next year. The almost £250 that you spend on an SSD will be mostly wasted on this computer, nobody will pay the premium for it on the second-hand market. My advice is to use the computer as it is now, don't spend a penny on it and just enjoy your MBP. Next year, you can spend three or four hundred pounds on a newer one with much better overall performance.
  13. Drudkh macrumors newbie

    Jan 18, 2009
  14. magamo macrumors 6502

    Apr 6, 2009
  15. MrKay thread starter macrumors newbie

    Aug 12, 2010

    thanks for your reply i think i just might wait my macbook pro 13" has apple care un till 2012 september 2nd hopefully i should get around £700 or more
  16. MrKay thread starter macrumors newbie

    Aug 12, 2010

    thanks for your reply

    yeah intel will be getting new ssd out in 2011 they say its gonna have 100gb, 200gb,300gb and finally 600gb ssd drive but they will cost an arm and a leg lol

Share This Page