Intel SSD's VS The World

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by MacModMachine, Apr 11, 2010.

1. MacModMachine macrumors 68020

MacModMachine

Hi,

just posting a bit of a rant on ssd's , using over 7 brands of ssd's with varying controllers i have come across some interesting information (from local users of these drives and several tests i have conducted myself.)

using my optibay enclosure i have fitted my macbook pro 13" 2.53 with a 160gb intel and a 256gb kingston ssd SNV225 based on a samsung controller.

i settled on samsung based ssd only because i have had great luck testing them for clients and myself, much to my amazement they have been failing like crazy after a few months use(total of 22 failures counted).

Today...it also happened to me, the ssd(kingston) begun to eject itself and i could only read from it, writing caused it to lock up the computer and cause issues.

i guess after all the drives i have used the intel has got to be the only one i will personally used and recommend which is no surprise im sure to anyone.

i may give the new sandforce a go....but until then....i will trust nothing but intel....there controllers (in my experience) are completely robust compared to others.

maybe its kingston and not samsung...

2. Sneakz macrumors 65816

Sneakz

Thanks for this insightful post. Really wouldn't trust anything but Intel but I've known that myself for the last few months.

The Samsung failures are interesting though. Other than simply being slow, I've haven't really heard of any widespread failures of the drives.

3. Eddyisgreat macrumors 601

My intel SSD and others from the same batch spontaneously died. No drive is immune to failure.

4. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

Yeah the first SSD I bought worked for about 6 hours; enough time for me to install the OS and set up everything to the way I wanted. Then it just showed up as unformatted; I tried everything and it said I only had 64MB of space or something like that.

5. Sneakz macrumors 65816

Sneakz

Intel has definitely stepped it up with the G2 Postvilles. I found the product to be more consistent in terms of performance and simply more reliable.

6. MacModMachine thread starter macrumors 68020

MacModMachine

Regardless...im not talking about a bad batch here, im talking about a terribly designed ssd.

7. mike.coulter macrumors regular

mike.coulter

I'm not sure I'll rely on a SSD for another 5-10 years. I know they're lightening fast, but they have read/write limits. So eventually, instead of grinding to a halt and having some kind of chance at reviving your data, it will just die. And all data will be gone... Doesn't sound like fun to me.

8. MBHockey macrumors 68040

MBHockey

Yeah, after 10 years.

9. pesc macrumors regular

You don't do backups?