Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Schmittroth

macrumors regular
Original poster
Dec 6, 2003
NYC, Astoria-Queens

dukemeiser

macrumors 6502a
Dec 17, 2002
Iowa
Wait, what's that I hear? Why, it's the sound of Apple's market share increasing!
Bad move for Intel. This will only confuse PC buyers who are so used to a 4 Ghz P4. Now they can get a 700 series PC.

rdowns

macrumors Penryn
Jul 11, 2003
dukemeiser said:
Wait, what's that I hear? Why, it's the sound of Apple's market share increasing!
Bad move for Intel. This will only confuse PC buyers who are so used to a 4 Ghz P4. Now they can get a 700 series PC.

I hope so. Can't really get much lower than it is. Just received my Apple 10-K and the sales numbers (sand PB) are pretty dismal for 2003.

blue&whiteman

macrumors 65816
Nov 30, 2003
intel has always made gutless chips. their mhz always has to be much higher than a risc cpu to meet or bypass one. my G4/500 cpu out performs my friends dell with a celeron 1.3. pathetic hardware from a pathetic company for a pathetic platform. no self respecting person would use this crap anyway.

people that know whats up use macs. simple.

richland

macrumors member
Mar 2, 2004
blue&whiteman said:
intel has always made gutless chips[.]..[.]no self respecting person would use this crap anyway.

..[.]people that know whats up use macs. simple.

Wrong.
Centrino is just plain great. (chip and chipset)
Hyperthreading on p4 2.6 chips and higher is just awsome.

People who use macs think they are worth it mainly for OS reasons alone.(unless you get a dual 2ghz, but even thats not top of the line anymore)

blue&whiteman

macrumors 65816
Nov 30, 2003
richland said:
Wrong.
Centrino is just plain great. (chip and chipset)
Hyperthreading on p4 2.6 chips and higher is just awsome.

People who use macs think they are worth it mainly for OS reasons alone.(unless you get a dual 2ghz, but even thats not top of the line anymore)

go ahead and be a computer zombie then. don't forget to bend for bill..

tomf87

macrumors 65816
Sep 10, 2003
blue&whiteman said:
go ahead and be a computer zombie then. don't forget to bend for bill..

Don't confuse architecture with software. I have several Linux servers running on the latest Intel chips and they just fly! I'm going to try Solaris 9 next, but we'll see where that goes.

You can run all sorts of great operating systems on x86, and Intel has some great architecture. Even though they play the Ghz/Mhz game, they are coming to the end of the line where they are learning that increasing speed isn't exactly what people are after. People are after greater performance, which does not always equate to an increase in processor speed.

ACED

macrumors member
Feb 29, 2004
Pathetic contribution

blue&whiteman said:
intel has always made gutless chips... pathetic hardware from a pathetic company for a pathetic platform. no self respecting person would use this crap anyway.

people that know whats up use macs. simple.

Through association, you give all Mac users a bad name, though I'm sure you couldn't care less. Intel invented the microprocessor, so all companies who have followed that lead, I'm sure would, would recognise and respect Intel, even though you don't.

Given that we now effectively have very "IBM compatible" computers with the label engineered G5, its not inconceivable that one day we may have Macs with Intel inside, and I wouldn't care less, though a portion of the Mac community might feel their life not worth continuing.

The only thing pathetic, and its probably a mirror of your own life, is your attitude. Get over it!

Back on topic, until the Mac can compete in the "perceived bang for buck" particularly at the lower end where the clones rule, then Mac market share won't increase, if fact I've heard its now down to 2%.

I don't think it matters very much to most people about CPU speed (labels), or preferences/niceties about OS since the two platforms accomplish essentially the same outcomes...both platforms with adequate reliabilty.

Its all about getting the best bang for your buck, heard mentality, numbers/locations of outlets, and consequent ease to satisfy the need to 'buy that computer'.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.