Intel time machine

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by steve2013, Feb 1, 2013.

1. steve2013, Feb 1, 2013
    Last edited: Feb 1, 2013

steve2013 macrumors newbie

I have a PowerBook G4 and an Intel MacBook Pro, my intel machine has died and I would like to access some of the files on my USB Time Machine using my PBG4

However,the Time Machine icon does not appear on the desktop of the PBG4, is there anything I can do.

The Intel MacBook won't open in Target Mode. If I remove the hard-drive and put it in a caddy, would the PPC be able to access it.

Any help would be appreciated.

PBG4 10.5.8
    MacBook Pro 10.7.8 I think. It was up to date but I had not loaded Mountain Lion.

Both computers have the Time Machine Icon in the menu bar.

2. simsaladimbamba

3. steve2013 thread starter macrumors newbie

4. simsaladimbamba

Does the TM HDD show up in Disk Utility?

And yes, the PB should be able to read/write to the MBP's HDD in a proper caddy, since Mac OS X 10.5 Leopard is able to read/write GUID partitioned HDDs (GUID is the partition map scheme for Intel Macs).

5. steve2013 thread starter macrumors newbie

I have just tried and No it does not seem to be there.

6. steve2013 thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for your replies. What kind of caddy do I need? I have the original box with various numbers on the side.

7. simsaladimbamba

An enclosure for 2.5" S-ATA HDDs with a USB port, they normally cost 10 to 20 USD.

8. steve2013, Feb 2, 2013
    Last edited: Feb 2, 2013

steve2013 thread starter macrumors newbie

Won't Mount

I have taken out the Intel HD and put it in a Sata Enclosure, however, when connected to the PBG4 it does not mount. The drive just clicks like a clock.

I tried connecting it to a PC, it spins OK and there is no clicking. Under "Computer' it shows up as Photo Stream, when I try and open Photo Stream I am invited to log in to iCloud. I have never logged in to or used either Photo Stream or iCloud.

Going back to my PBG4 I wonder if my USB is powerful enough to run the external drive. The drive requires USB2.0 and under System Profile all it says is " USB High=Speed Bus"

EDIT
    Would it be OK to connect the external drive to TWO USB ports on my PBG4. The drive comes with a Y shaped USB connector, so it would be physically possible to connect to two ports, my idea is that two ports might provide more power to the drive. ( Remember it does not spin when connected to PBG4 but it does spin when connected to a Windows PC.

Edit
    I connected the USB to both ports and it works.

Problem solved.

Thanks