Intel to launch new CPUs soon...

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by VirtualRain, Jul 5, 2010.

1. VirtualRain macrumors 603

VirtualRain

Link: http://www.digitimes.com/news/a20100701PD209.html

Not sure what this means, if anything, for those waiting on an update to the MP.

2. Umbongo macrumors 601

Umbongo

Only the 970 is of any relevance and if the price is correct indicates that there will be no cheap 6 cores any time soon and that the W3500 processors are still very much the current line.

edit: missed the 950 is dropping to $294, which is the price of the W3530. I don't really see Apple having waited for this though.

3. ValSalva macrumors 68040

ValSalva

Prices dropping certainly have no relevance for Apple; just look at the unchanged price for 15+ months on the current Mac Pro. I think Intel's announcement is more for the Dells, HPs, and Lenovos of the computer world.

4. VirtualRain thread starter macrumors 603

VirtualRain

Before now, has there been a price drop on the Nehalem Xeon CPU's used in the 2009 Mac Pro's? I thought they've remained pretty static.

5. sotiredofsoup macrumors member

This is great news! I'll have to wait a little longer to complete my HackPro, but maybe by then my rebates will come in from my NewEgg purchases and I can pull the trigger on the i7-950 for the same price I would have bought the 930 for later this month! Thanks for the heads up! :D