Intel to Launch 'Thunderbolt' on Thursday? MacBook Pros to Follow?

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Feb 23, 2011.

1. MacRumors, Feb 23, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 23, 2011

MacRumors macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

CNet reports that Intel's media event starts at 10 a.m. Pacific on Thursday, February 24th. CNet believes that Intel will be unveiling final details of Light Peak at the event.
    CNet actually expects that Apple will not officially launch the new MacBook Pros until after the Intel event. The event starts at 10 a.m. Pacific / 1 p.m. Eastern.

Meanwhile, we've learned that the term "Thunderbolt" is actually labeled as an Intel trademark on the leaked MacBook Pro packaging, so we suspect that will be the name used for the technology broadly across all platforms.

As for why Thunderbolt (formerly Light Peak) uses the DisplayPort connector rather than the USB one, The Wall Street Journal Digits blog speculates that USB Implementers Forums wasn't happy about Intel coopting their plug:
    Meanwhile, Apple designed the mini DisplayPort connector and opened it for free licensing, which may offer some explanation as to its choice. We're certain to hear more details Thursday.

Article Link: Intel to Launch 'Thunderbolt' on Thursday? MacBook Pros to Follow?

2. PlayRadioPlay macrumors regular

3. m85476585 macrumors 65816

It's not called LightPeak because it doesn't use light. This iteration is all copper.

4. ThomasJL macrumors 6502a

Can't wait to see if Intel's version has light or is merely copper.

5. trip1ex macrumors 68000

Screw Thunderbolt. I'm waiting for Thunderstorm.

6. ten-oak-druid macrumors 68000

ten-oak-druid

They'll put that symbol on a t-shirt probably. It will look like a super hero.

7. mac jones macrumors 68040

I think this writer had a stroke. Either that, or I did.
    :eek:

8. Small White Car macrumors G4

Small White Car

Everyone will use copper for awhile yet. It's about the price and fiber optics won't be in consumer goods quite yet.

9. CrAkD macrumors 68040

CrAkD

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8C148 Safari/6533.18.5)

Hmm makes sense can't wait for tomorrow!

10. weing macrumors regular

A dorky name worthy of the focus groups of Redmond.

11. wackymacky macrumors 68000

wackymacky

I don't really know why I need this kind of speed on a laptop or and iPad.

Oh well, it is good that apple is trying to be a leader.

12. ldellx3 macrumors 6502

lol so the wait inches on so maybe we wont see anything until 2 pm tomorrow eastern

13. Mikey7c8 macrumors regular

I must admit, I'm pretty excited about all this. And here I was, not planning on buying new hardware this year.

14. DrJohnnyN macrumors 65816

DrJohnnyN

15. dampfdruck macrumors member

Why would anyone need this is a laptop? Seriously, what is the use-case for this? When I'm on the road I would really appreciate a built in 3G modem or a second battery e.g. instead of the (useless) optical drive.

As for the mini display port: I never figured out what the benefits should be. Every meeting room I went so far, has a projector with a VGA input. As a user, I have to always carry an (overpriced) adapter. What for?

I think, Apple doesn't understand the difference between a laptop and a desktop.

16. iTabone macrumors regular

Well 1 PM EST really gives me time to wake up I guess.

17. MacQuest macrumors 6502a

Looks like tomorrow will be a good day for Apple consumers, followed by another good day next Tuesday.

Thanks Apple and HAPPY BIRTHDAY SJ!!!

18. ghostlyorb macrumors 6502a

ghostlyorb

Either way, I'm excited for tomorrow... I hope these rumors are true and it's an awesome upgrade!

19. Warbrain macrumors 603

Warbrain

You haven't heard everything yet. Just wait. You may be surprised.

20. ldellx3 macrumors 6502

another day of wondering while in school haha

21. Hackint0sh macrumors member

Hackint0sh

This could push the Apple announcement up to 10pm Pacific. :(

22. cmaier macrumors G5

23. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

Maybe we will finally get a docking station.

24. voltaire2030 macrumors newbie

Finally we will end all the rampant speculations that plague the web about a minor or major refresh of the MBP :rolleyes:

I'm still not sure how thunderbolt work :confused: Will it permits to speed up the loading and unloading on a flashdrive for example ?

25. ten-oak-druid macrumors 68000

ten-oak-druid

So what happens if Apple rushes to embrace this and then a year from now thunderbolt standard switches to a usb port after all? And what if it starts out as a copper version of thunderbolt and a year from now the standard is optical? Will this model be hurt by that? Will the peripherals with thunderbolt a year from now not be compatible with this version?

It reminds me of the early DVD ROM drives that came out and were soon replaced with the burners we know now. For a year, people had a cool new feature that was obsolete soon after.