Intel unveils laser breakthrough

edesignuk

Moderator emeritus
Original poster
Mar 25, 2002
London, England
Intel has unveiled research that could mean data is soon being moved around chips at the speed of light.

Scientists at Intel have overcome a fundamental problem that before now has prevented silicon being used to generate and amplify laser light.

The breakthrough should make it easier to interconnect data networks with the chips that process the information.

The Intel researchers said products exploiting the breakthrough should appear by the end of the decade.
Full article.

mad jew

Moderator emeritus
Apr 3, 2004
Adelaide, Australia
That's great news - even if I really don't know most of what's happenning there technically-speaking! It's good to see Intel becoming more competitive on the R & D front if only because it will raise the bar for AMD and more importantly; IBM! :)

stubeeef

macrumors 68030
Aug 10, 2004
So, I know there is a good lil geek out there who can convert the speed of light to a clock speed.............

So what would the clock speed be MR forum super genius geeks! :p

(don't want to hear any "cant do that, not the same thing" crap....just make it happen, even spock guessed once, so no excuses!)

absolut_mac

macrumors 6502a
Oct 30, 2003
Dallas, Texas
edesignuk said:
Intel has unveiled research that could mean data is soon being moved around chips at the speed of light.
Ha!

What good is that when it enters and exits my computer at the speed of molasses?

Well, not really because I'm fortunate enough to have cable. But still, comparatively speaking cable is still pretty slow.

When I can download a 2 hour movie in less than 1 minute, then I'll know that cable has truly arrived ;)