Intel X-25M Bootcamp update

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by bugout, Mar 30, 2009.

1. bugout macrumors 6502a

2. mmoran27 macrumors 6502

Has anyone actually gotten this update?

I contacted Intel and noone knows what they are talking about. They said they'll call me back.

Yea right.

3. Eddyisgreat macrumors 601

Very nice. Thanks for the update. I too would hope that intel wouldn't throw its customers who drop 400+ on bleeding edge technology under the bus. I would rather virtualize windows and I havn't run into any serious speed issues (my mbp goes from cold boot to desktop in 5 seconds after two months of usage) but those who are affected by this issue will be glad there's a way to fix it.

4. plesset macrumors member

I can confirm that I do have boot camp running on my x25-m 160gb. Works fine.

5. Eddyisgreat macrumors 601

As per the AnandTech article, 160gb and late x25-m models are not affected. Bootcamp will not run on my early x25-m.

6. stylinexpat macrumors 6502a

Any problems at all? Do you have Windows XP or Vista? How quick is bootup with your SSD for OSX and for Windows?

7. tubbymac macrumors 65816

tubbymac

It's nice that they have finally fixed the bootcamp problem for the newer drives. Contacting support about the old drives though seems a bit lame though. I'm sure a lot of original buyers of the 80 gig Intel SSD have done that already, ages ago, and got pretty much nowhere.

8. plesset macrumors member

No problems at all. My bootup is pretty darn quick as you can imagine with the ssd. I am using good old XP.

9. TechViking macrumors regular

I want to know this too. What is the fix? Firmware update?

I went through the intel support phases 2 weeks ago. It was useless. It ended with the support person just stating that there was nothing wrong with the X25-M etcetera. That's the answer I got a week ago though. I just sent him an email with the link to the article, it'll be interesting to see what he will say this time.

10. iJimmy macrumors regular

iJimmy

I was wondering how you could tell if you have the new or old version of the 80GB x-25m?

11. TechViking macrumors regular

I guess if you can install Windows in boot camp on it, you have the "new" version. :)

I dont think the hardware has changed at all though, it must be the firmware that is updated.

12. mmoran27 macrumors 6502

Intel is really lame on this - There is no fix

Thank you for contacting Intel® Technical Support.

I understand that you need to fund out if there is a fix from Intel® so the Intel® X25-M SATA Solid State Drive to work with the Boot Camp software.

Please note that at this moment there is no Intel® fix for this issue, and there is no estimated date for a possible fix, since this software is not supported by Intel®. You may be able to get a resolution from Apple*.

We are sorry for any inconveniences this may cause.

Regards,

13. iJimmy macrumors regular

iJimmy

Thanks, now all I need is a functional superdrive

14. TechViking macrumors regular

Were you able to install Windows with bootcamp on your x25? If so what is your firmware version?

15. steve31 macrumors 6502a

steve31

I just ordered a Intel ssd x25m 80gb today. I do not need to install bootcamp but If I can it would be a bonus. I will try it when I get it on Monday.

16. iJimmy macrumors regular

iJimmy

I haven't tried installing windows because I don't have a functional dvd drive. I'll let you know when I do.

17. iJimmy macrumors regular

iJimmy

I guess I have the old version... I get a " Press Any Key to Restart... Disk Error"

18. mmoran27 macrumors 6502

If you look on the drive there's a number

There's a number that starts with e and ends like 901 902 or 903.

Boot camp will only work with revision 903.

19. iJimmy macrumors regular

iJimmy

Mine is the 902... :(

20. TechViking macrumors regular

Cheer up. The firmware upgrade tool will be available soon. :)

21. iJimmy macrumors regular

iJimmy

I sure hope so, Intel has been saying that for months. I'm looking forward to installing Windows 7 on my boot drive.

22. steve31 macrumors 6502a

steve31

23. mmoran27 macrumors 6502

You will have to RMA your drive

There will be no firmware update tool. This is a hardware revision.

That is straight from intel. Getting mine tomorrow.

24. TechViking macrumors regular

mmoran27 you have this wrong.

There will be a firmware upgrade tool available. It will upgrade any X25-M to the latest firmware which will then be compatible with Boot camp on Nvidia based macs.

It is a pure software update. The hardware is not changed.

The firmware update tool itself may however be needed to run on a non-Nvidia based PC/Mac to upgrade the firmware. Basically the X25-M connected to any non-Nvidia (PC)/Mac via internal SATA port will work.

In case the end user does not have access to such a computer, the solution will then be to RMA the X25-M.