Intel X-25M MBP install problem

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by kntgsp, Jul 28, 2009.

1. kntgsp macrumors 6502a

Swapped in an X-25M (latest firmware, not the old one) but it gives me the "The installer cannot prepare the volume for installation. You may need to prepare your disk using Disk Utility".

It has a Windows installation on it, but I selected "erase" under options for the target install location. How am I supposed to use Disk Utility when the drive is in the laptop? Can it be accessed via Terminal or something via the install DVD?

Help.

2. SMacDuff macrumors 6502

SMacDuff

You can access Disk Utility from the OSX Install DVD. It will be in the menu when you prepare to install. Erase the drive and use Mac OSX (Journaled) to format.

3. geoffreak macrumors 68020

geoffreak

You need to format it with a GUID partition table and HFS+. You can run disk utility off the Leopard install DVD.

4. kntgsp thread starter macrumors 6502a

That's what I selected during the installation queue. Erase and format Mac OSX Journaled. Then I skip the DVD check and it gives me that.

5. kntgsp thread starter macrumors 6502a

Where? I hold down C to boot from DVD. But there's no option to run disk utility as an app. It just gives the option to erase and partition as Mac OSX Journaled during install under the options when you click the target install location.

6. geoffreak macrumors 68020

geoffreak

Do steps 1 through 3

Also, if you take your old drive and stick it into an enclosure, you can run Mac OSX off it while connected via USB or firewire. Just hold option while booting and select the external drive to boot off of.

7. kntgsp thread starter macrumors 6502a

Yea that I get, but it doesn't show where to set it as GUID, so that "guide" doesn't tell you anything the install DVD doesn't. But I think I found it. Seems to be taking now. Thanks.

8. daneoni macrumors G4

daneoni

Is this WD HDD any good?

Sorry...was meant to post as a new thread

Mods DELETE