Intel x-25m. Revision 903 is the one you want

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by mmoran27, Apr 9, 2009.

1. mmoran27 macrumors 6502

On the drive is a number that starts with an E and ends with a number. You want the 903 revision. Anything earlier has the bootcamp problem.

Get your drive RMAd if you ever want to use bootcamp. Theres no flash upgrade.

2. RKpro macrumors 6502

So it WAS a hardware revision after all, and not a firmware update. Thanks for the heads up. I'm getting either this or the Vertex in the near future.

3. tibi08 macrumors 6502a

tibi08

That's not what Anandtech says... "If you have an earlier X25-M and one of these Apple machines and are experiencing Bootcamp compatibility problems Intel wants you to contact its support staff for a fix"... "I’ll have more updates on the Intel drive in the coming weeks."

4. Dreamail macrumors 6502

But Intel didn't say what the 'fix' is.

Could be you having to send the drive in for a replacement or Intel-applied flash upgrade.

5. mmoran27 thread starter macrumors 6502

Just because Anandtech posts something does not mean it is true.

If they had a fix don't you think they would release it?

I got word from the engineering devision within intel that there would be no fix.

That is why they are sending me a new hardware revision.

6. TechViking macrumors regular

mmoran27 you have this wrong.

There will be a firmware upgrade tool available. It will upgrade any X25-M to the latest firmware which will then be compatible with Boot camp on Nvidia based macs.

It is a pure software update. The hardware is not changed.

The firmware update tool itself may however be needed to run on a non-Nvidia based PC/Mac to upgrade the firmware. Basically the X25-M connected to any non-Nvidia (PC)/Mac via internal SATA port will work.

In case the end user does not have access to such a computer, the solution will then be to RMA the X25-M.

7. tibi08 macrumors 6502a

tibi08

I think above poster is correct - the reason they haven't released the firmware upgrade tool is because it's not finished yet - these things must be coded, thoroughly tested, etc. The reason you had a hardware replacement is because Intel don't want to say to you "just hang on a few weeks until we have the patcher"... they actually want to solve your problem now.

Of course this is all very speculative at the moment as Anandtech and Intel won't tell us yet!