Intel X25-M 80GB speed - wow

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by tibi08, Feb 18, 2009.

1. tibi08 macrumors 6502a

tibi08

Just whacked an Intel X25-M 80Gb into my Macbook Pro C2D 2.2Ghz (late 2007)...wow. This thing is quick.

Managed to shave boot time from 77 seconds to 22 seconds, and iPhoto launch time from 15s to 3s.

[​IMG]

2. be300test macrumors member

i like how they show samsung slow...my boot time is 12 seconds with a corsair (rebranded samsung ssd).

so its either the sata2 diffrence for a bias benchmark.

3. dwsolberg macrumors 6502a

There's only one way to react: WOW!

It's amazing that a hard drive has such a huge influence on the speed of the system. The iPhoto difference is particularly amazing. I really want one of these.

4. Eddyisgreat macrumors 601

Yeah its pretty fast. Pricey, but quick. I've gotten so used to it while all my traditional hard disks seem so sloooooooowwwwwwww

5. otis123 macrumors 6502a

give me a 256gb for under $150 and i am sold.

6. kgeier82 macrumors 65816

funny how this is whats needed in order for word to open up as fast as it does in windows.

humor :)

7. tibi08 thread starter macrumors 6502a

tibi08

Sorry to confuse... I have replaced a traditional 5400 drive with SSD. There wouldn't be a significant performance gain replacing Corsair SSD with Intel SSD. Although the Intel does have the edge, as I understand it :p

We are about to experience a hard drive revolution. It might be a while before they are that cheap, but it will come.

I've always wondered why Word is so pig slow on a Mac. I guess perhaps on a PC it shares resources with Windows, which it isn't able to on a Mac and therefore has to load them seperately. Or perhaps Microsoft did it intentionally to make you use a PC :D

8. jjahshik32 macrumors 603

It seems the intel x25-m doesnt play so nice with apple's efi system for now and it only conflicts with the boot time since the mac has trouble finding the x25-m as the boot drive (have to hold down option key everytime I reboot). Also I'm not able to install windows via bootcamp as the efi system cannot find the boot drive properly.

This makes boot time much longer than it really takes for the intel x25-m to load osx up, I've seen a mac mini load osx with an intel x25-m on youtube or some other video site before which took 5-6 seconds flat (after the osx tiger has been loaded once before).

9. tibi08 thread starter macrumors 6502a

tibi08

Interesting you should say that - when I first booted after switching the internal drive with the X25-M, it took a good 50 seconds. It did this the second time too. Then I went into system preferences and selected the drive as the boot drive, and this stopped the pause time on boot and gave a more expected 22s boot time.

10. be300test macrumors member

22 seconds is still long on any ssd, did you restore a backup or install leopard than restore from timemachine ?

josh

11. tibi08 thread starter macrumors 6502a

tibi08

Restored a backup. I couldn't bear to set everything up again. Plus the backup is actually a Tiger installation "upgraded" to Leopard. So it's probably all my fault that it's only 22s... if you can say "only" in that context!

12. CTechKid macrumors regular

Did you use Time Machine? I've found a fresh install of Leopard via the DVD, then a Time Machine restore for all your apps, etc worked best. Just my 2 cents. :apple:

13. tibi08 thread starter macrumors 6502a

tibi08

I suspect you're right, but I used the restore feature of Disk Utility.

14. CTechKid macrumors regular

15. tibi08 thread starter macrumors 6502a

tibi08

16. Patriks7 macrumors 65816

Patriks7

Or maybe Apple did something to it so you buy Pages? :p I find Pages much better than Word, and I was a Word user in Windows for 10 years before I switched last year. It took my friend 4 months to get me to change to Pages, but it really is much better :p

17. jjahshik32 macrumors 603

Uh Oh, time to sell the intel lol. I guess I'm off to ebay..

18. Eddyisgreat macrumors 601

Wow thanks for the link. I paid four hundred dollars for this thing (about a 300 dollar early adoption fee lol) and it better not had slow down or I will go to my local intel campus (which I think handles fabrication or atleast something with these disks) and chaos will ensue.