Intel x25-m compatibility question

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Grayer, Jul 26, 2009.

1. Grayer macrumors newbie

Hi,
    I am thinking of buying the intel x25-m for my mbp so i checked on amazon the prices. And I found one which is Intel X25-M Mainstream Solid State Drive - Solid state drive - 80 GB - internal - 2.5" - SATA-300. The only thing that makes me doubt is that it says Vista Certification: Works with Windows Vista. Will this work with a macbook pro 13"?
    Also, I heard there are problems with this model and bootcamp, is this fixed?

2. sascha h-k macrumors 6502

sascha h-k

i have the 160gb in my mbp 17" 3.06 with boot camp win7rc1 also, perfect !
    (firmware 8820)

3. Grayer thread starter macrumors newbie

4. Mactagonist macrumors 65816

5. UltraNEO* macrumors 601

UltraNEO*

Dude, for peace of mind. Every single HDD or SDD will work in a Mac provided it is the correct physical size (can't put a 3.5" into a laptop; but you can put a 2.5" into a desktop) and it has the correct connectors (check your manual, new Macs uses SATA).

The stickers PC vendors/distributors/manufactures put on the device is for endorsements; Microsoft in the past have been known to will offer a sponsorship deals with hardware manufactures, if their products has XYZ badge on them.. That is why whenever you buy a PC, it comes with a billion stickers!!!

At the end of the day, it doesn't matter if they have a Windows Vista/7/8/9 or BMW badge on it, chances are many of those storage devices are made for a generic market giving compatibility to whatever hardware is out there.

If you had searched the forums in the first place you might of found several threads regarding the Intel x25 SSDs as other users have been putting them in their machines for a while now.

6. Grayer thread starter macrumors newbie

Hi, thanks for the reply. I have been looking in the search but they just talk about how great the ssd is, which I know. I just have one more question (sorry to bother but I'm a noob...). The new intel ssd was released recently, how do I know wether the one I linked is second gen or first gen?
    Thanks

7. Sponsi macrumors member

Sponsi

See the model number SSDSA2MH080G1C5? You have to look for the one with G2. (meaning second generation). I don't see them on Amazon.co.uk yet, but they are on Amazon.com: http://www.amazon.com/Intel-Mainstr...EG/ref=sr_1_14?ie=UTF8&qid=1248625890&sr=8-14

8. Grayer thread starter macrumors newbie

Lol thanks. I have to look in amazon of uk cus i live in spain and amazon.com only ships electronics in US :mad:. If u know any other shop that ships internationally...:D
    Thanks

9. sascha h-k macrumors 6502

sascha h-k

the "old" is black, the new metallic brushed silver ..

10. Gabriel GR macrumors 6502a

Gabriel GR

In fact it's the manufacturers who want to make sure the customer realises their hardware is compatible with Windows as it's more than 90% of the hardware upgrade market.

11. Grayer thread starter macrumors newbie

so i found this website, http://www.shopblt.com/. It lets you order the intel 25x-m newest model even though it's not in stock but I've never heard of the site. Does anyone know about it? I don't know wether to trust this site...:confused:
    Thanks

12. norsemen macrumors regular

13. Grayer thread starter macrumors newbie

Lol norsemen your ****in awesome i finally found where to buy it :cool:. I'll soon have it for my mbp :)

14. Pagga macrumors 6502

Pagga

Closer to the Artic circle than I like to be
    Yes, but I think you will find most of them are webshops waiting for the product.
    Even though they offer it, they don´t actually have it yet.

Here in Scandinavia it looks like they will be available by mid-august

15. Grayer thread starter macrumors newbie

16. pooryou macrumors 65816

17. andothfc macrumors regular

These new Intel drives were all recalled to fix an issue with the original firmware and are only now making their way back to stores. That's why almost everywhere is out of stock.

18. tommyGB macrumors member

tommyGB

25gb?

Is there any chance the new intel SSDs will feature 250GB capacity? I'm getting a MBP and thinking about SSD. Would buy the cheap 320 5000 speed HDD from apple and then upgrade if 250gb were on the horizon.

Also any chance of a ball park figure of cost. As I will be gettin MBP on edu discount the SSD upgrade is a lot cheaper!

Cheers in advance

Tom

19. jamesryanbell macrumors 68020

jamesryanbell

We're looking at Q1 2010 before the 320GB SSD Intel drives arrive.

20. NC MacGuy macrumors 603

NC MacGuy

I've been checking Newegg stock daily for the gen. 2 X25 160GB. It seems this morning the item has vaporized. After manually entering the part # from my cancelled order it shows it was deactivated. The 80 remains as an out of stock item but the 160 G2 is gone. I'm not sure if this is perhaps a sign of it getting a new number denoting fix and becoming available soon or what??

21. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

22. NC MacGuy macrumors 603

NC MacGuy

That's the X25 rebranded Kingston model. For some ridiculous reason it's priced more than the Intel. No Intel.

SSDSA2MH160G2C1

23. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

Right right I was on the other tab. :eek:
    Spec by spec there's no reason to buy Kingston. Those bastids!

24. p3ncil macrumors regular

mine doesn't work after i applied the 1.7 EFI firmware.

1st gen 80 gig

25. TripleJJJ macrumors member

Do you have the first or the new version of the SSD ?