Intel X25-M SSD firmware update on 09 Mac Pro

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by Boneoh, Apr 15, 2009.

1. Boneoh macrumors 6502

Boneoh

Hi, all.

I tried to apply the firmware update to the Intel X25-M SSD on my 09 MP yesterday. I'm not currently having any issues with the SSD, but thought I would be proactive about updating.

The update failed :( , and I received the following recommended changes before trying again:

- Disable Drive Protection in your BIOS and retry the update

- Enable Legacy IDE mode in your BIOS and retry the update

Has anyone out there successfully applied this update on an 09 mac pro? :confused:

If so, were any tweaks needed to make it work? :confused:

Thanks!

2. DuDum macrumors newbie

i updated my 80 gb xm25 - its connected in the lower drive bay - no hiccups - no tweaks needed

sorry to hear your having problems - maybe worth trying popping the drive into a laptop/other computer if you have one and do the update on that - you don't need to boot from the drive afterall - you just boot from the cdr so you should be able to do it in pretty much any machine

3. steffi macrumors 6502a

I ended up updating my in my friends Dell because I have 8610 and that has the NVidia conflict which means that their firmware updater doesn't see any drives in my machine. Going forward the has been corrected with the firmware update and other versions of the firmware don't have the NVidia conflict.

4. ux4all macrumors regular

ux4all

They don't have the boot camp issue either.

5. steffi macrumors 6502a

So you're saying categorically that the Bootcamp problem is limited to old versions of the firmware? I've read that not to be the case because there's a portion of the drive that isn't fixed the boot loader.

6. ux4all macrumors regular

ux4all

I am only regurgitating what I have read. I RAID'd my drives before I tested my newer one.

7. gesundheit macrumors member

Just updated my 80GB X-25M firmware today, followed the Intel pdf instructions, no problem at all (except for the part where alt+opt+del was supposed to restart my mac, I tried every combo of my ctrl, opt, command and both delete keys to no avail, luckily a hard shutdown and restart worked). Data was all intact, and Windows XP is currently running fine from a Bootcamp partition on the SSD. One benefit to the SSD is being able to switch out of OS X and restarting into Windows (or vice versa) in 20 seconds or so. (Almost as handy as using a virtual OS)

8. Battlefield Fan macrumors 65816

Battlefield Fan

What kind of mac and what year model is yours?

9. gesundheit macrumors member

2009 Mac Pro 2.93 quad.

10. alset macrumors 65816

alset

Also running a Nehalem 2.93 Mac Pro with an X25-M and saw the same error messages about BIOS updates. I updated the drive from my MacBook instead.

Wish I had a better fix for you. Good luck.

11. VirtualRain macrumors 603

VirtualRain

Hey, I just wanted to add my experience here for the benefit of other's down the road...

I tried updating the firmware on both my X25-M's at the same time, in bays 1 and 2... The Intel Firmware Update utility detected both drives but was unable to update the firmware (as per OP) in bay 1 but was successful in updating the drive in bay 2. :confused: So, naturally, I rebooted with the failed drive in bay 2 (and the successful drive removed) and surprisingly, it worked.

Both drives are now updated and working in RAID0 in bays 1 and 2.

The bottom line for me is that I could only update the firmware if the SSD was not in bay 1. At least on my machine, there's something with Bay 1 that the firmware update utility doesn't like.

Perhaps this is why some were successful (likely using Bays 2-4) and some were unsuccessful (tried only Bay 1?)?

One other note... the equivalent of Cntl-Alt-Del on a Mac keyboard in DOS etc. is Cntl-Alt-. (instead of "del" use the period on the num pad).

12. gesundheit macrumors member

Interesting thought, although you don't mention if you tried the "failed drive" by itself in bay 1 after removing the successful drive from bay 2.

My successful update was with the drive in the lower optical bay.

Thanks for that! I need to stickie that somewhere I can find it next time I'm fiddling with the Windows side of things.

13. VirtualRain macrumors 603

VirtualRain

Although I didn't mention it, I did try just the failed drive in bay 1 after removing the successful drive from bay 2. Since that didn't help, I tried moving the failed drive to bay 2 where it was successful.

14. AppleWorking macrumors regular

Is this HDD bay 1 with the problems, or Optical bay 1? :confused:

15. VirtualRain macrumors 603

VirtualRain

16. imacdaddy macrumors 6502a

Note to self when I buy an X25-M SSD...don't install in Bay 1. Thanks VR!

17. Mattww macrumors 6502

Mattww

What adaptor are you using?

18. VirtualRain macrumors 603

VirtualRain

19. Boneoh thread starter macrumors 6502

Boneoh

I just wanted to confirm Virtual Rain's results, I could NOT update the firmware using bay 1. All worked fine in bay 2.

Thanks, all! :)