Intel x25 SSD, TRIM & MBP 5,5

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by robllewellyn, Jul 28, 2011.

1. robllewellyn macrumors newbie

Hi all

I have read so much about the subject line above, mostly from here, but I have one final question that would be great to get an answer on, I know there is a long thread on a hack to get TRIM: Yes, but.....

"Is it true that no matter what I do, I can not get TRIM to show up in the System Profiler as 'Yes', if its a non Apple supplied SSD?"

I would have at least thought upgrading my SSD firmware would have shown the device as now TRIM: Yes, as it's the device that is either TRIM capable or not, in the system profiler?

I have the following:

Model Name: MacBook Pro
    Model Identifier: MacBookPro5,5
    Processor Name: Intel Core 2 Duo
    Processor Speed: 2.26 GHz

I have the following Intel x25 SSD:

Capacity: 80.03 GB (80,026,361,856 bytes)
    Model: INTEL SSDSA2M080G2GC
    Revision: 2CV102M3
    Serial Number:
    Native Command Queuing: Yes
    Queue Depth: 32
    Removable Media: No
    Detachable Drive: No
    BSD Name: disk0
    Medium Type: Solid State
    TRIM Support: No

You'll no doubt note I have the latest Firmware (2CV102M3) but still nothing in the TRIM support. I did the firmware upgrade last night from a burn of an .iso onto a CD from the Intel website and booted from it.

I have LION installed.

Is it the case that no matter what I do, I can not get third party SSDs to work (notwithstanding the TRIM hack) with TRIM on my MBP? It has to be an Apple supplied SSD?

I would really appreciate your views and thoughts.

Thanks

Rob

2. Lunitik007 macrumors newbie

3. robllewellyn thread starter macrumors newbie

I did the patch, seemed to work ok, but to be honest, Lion has some way to go before its ready for my 5,5 MPB it seems. (Not having any auto, or manual for that matter, brightness control was very annoying) Also my iMac has gone to pot with it on there.

I've done a fresh install of SL on MPB and will await further drops.

Usual story with Apple gear. Never take it early. That said, seems to be working ok on the Air ok. Newer I guess

4. head honcho 123 macrumors 6502

i also have g2 x-25...

trim enabler works fine.

however, i am running snow leopard. not lion.