Intel X25M-80 SL and Win 7: TRIM OK?

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by MJL, Jul 22, 2011.

1. MJL macrumors 6502a

Have read that enabler can enable TRIM in Snow Leopard, I know TRIM works fine in Windows 7. However I wonder if there are going to be conflicts if I put both Snow Leopard and Windows 7 on the same Intel SSD. Has anyone got experience doing this?

The alternative is that I want to put Windows on the internal (INTEL) SSD and Snow Leopard on an external HDD (normal mechanical). Any gotcha's that I will have to watch out for? Thanks in advance.

( I searched but did not find an answer).

2. ayeying macrumors 601

ayeying

You can't put windows on an external hard drive.

There's no problems with installing OS X and Windows 7 on the same SSD.

3. MJL thread starter macrumors 6502a

Don't want Windows on the external drive: on the internal drive I want only Windows and on the external Snow Leopard or Lion. I know windows and OS X can both go ont he same internal drive but what about TRIM - any conflicts?

4. ayeying macrumors 601

ayeying

There will be no conflicts. Even before where TRIM wasn't supported on OS X, there was no issues that arose. TRIM will operate normally upon each partition if both OS X and Windows were installed on the same drive.

Furthermore, I don't understand why you would put OS X on the external drive?

5. MJL thread starter macrumors 6502a

Why windows on the internal drive? For me the machine is a production machine for some software that only runs under windows. I've used laptops since 1995 and would replace these normally every 8 -12 months and always would have two at the same time (one production and one development).

Unfortunately my eyesight is deteriorating because of a irreversable illness and I ahve to go to a bigger screen, even a 17" laptop screen won't cut it any longer.

I require a quiet computer - do not like noisy fans, noisy hard disks and in our country (New Zealand) one can either get some netttops that have the Atom processor (which is not powerfull enough for my requirements) or the Mac Mini. The ASrock Vision 3D is not available here and even brining it in is not an option: of one requires service then this is not available.

I like to keep the OS X for backup purposes (WinClone and CopyCatX) and for ripping music but it will be running that only 5 % of the time. Having OS X on an external drive will give me the option of quickly migrating to another machine in case the hardware totally fails.

Hope this explains.

6. pesos macrumors 6502a

pesos

Sadly Apple's efi-->bios translation explicitly disables AHCI, meaning that your SSD runs in ATA mode and does not get advanced performance features like NCQ and TRIM. Hopefully one of these days Apple will get with it and realize that it's not worth crippling those of us running Win7 for the few dolts still running XP natively. It's time for XP to be relegated to VMs people!

7. MJL thread starter macrumors 6502a

Thank you for this piece of information - if I undestand this correctly then this means that I need a SSD that has native garbage collection.

If I understand correctly the Intel X25M does not have this ability which means that life expectancy will be greatly reduced if it is running only Windows 7. I will need to put the Intel SSD back in my T61p and switch the BIOS into ATA mode and run it for a while and see if the Intel SSD toolbox will get the cleanup command passed on to the SSD. With the toolbox there is still a shimmer of hope for the Intel but I do not have those hopes very high.

(The Intel SSD Toolbox, which runs only under all the different flavours of windows, has been provided to support the legacy windows versions that do not have TRIM built in.)