Intel X25m 80gb SSD "Not attached or Connected"

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by jungk704, Jun 10, 2010.

1. jungk704 macrumors newbie

I think I got a defective drive.. what should I do?
    I ordered an Intel X25m 80gb through amazon and I tried to install it on a mid 2010 13in MBP.
    When I tried to update the firmware by booting it with the intel CD, it said no Intel SSD is attached.
    The drive was also not found when I tried to install Snow Leopard.

Should I contact Intel or Amazon to get another drive? Which would be faster?

Thanks.

EDIT: The solution below worked.
    I'm stupid.

2. thadoggfather macrumors G3

thadoggfather

I had the same problem when trying to update the firmware.

Did you put the Snow Leopard disc in then go to Utilities -> Disk Utility, then format?

That should do it. the firmware disc then picked up the drive immediately after that.

3. jungk704 thread starter macrumors newbie

Yeah.. *facepalm* I did that just a moment ago and it worked...

Thanks!

4. thadoggfather macrumors G3

thadoggfather

No worries. I had the same initial freakout, annoyed reaction too.

5. Benito macrumors 6502

Benito

What Intel CD are you guys talking about? I upgraded my late 2007 MBP to a SSD and put the HDD in the optical bay. I didn't do anything to update the firmware on my SSD. Is that something I should have done?

6. thadoggfather macrumors G3

thadoggfather

i have a similar setup with my 2010 13" MBP but I did SSD in optibay and HDD in HDD spot for Sudden Motion Sensor with SSD still being the boot drive and because the cooling was meant for the HDD area whereas SSD doesn't emit much heat. But I've heard them being installed both ways so to each his own.

As for having not used a firmware disc, maybe your SSD shipped with the latest firmware or maybe it didn't. The last firmware update was in November so I think you should be ok but (and ok anyways even without latest) but latest firmware ensures optimal performance. And the ISO you burn to make the firmware disc can be found on Intel's site.