intel x25m differences

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by ras61l, May 1, 2009.

1. ras61l macrumors newbie

hi,
    i placed an order for the x25m 160g drive. the model number advertised is ssdsa2mh160g1c5; however, i received a drive with the model number ssdsa2mh160g1gn. does anyone know the differences between the two drives?

2. Thiol macrumors 6502a

Thiol

I think nothing and only reflects how the distributor bought them (in cases of 5 or as singles, etc.). I could be wrong. What is more important is the firmware version.

3. steffi macrumors 6502a

Who did you order from? I have one delivered here yesterday and it says
    g1c1 on the end.

4. MikhailT macrumors 601

From what I read, it is just a different model number depending on the method of distribution.

kinda like OEM model or Retail model.

5. ras61l thread starter macrumors newbie

i actually have two: one that i ordered from owc (c5) and one from newegg (GN) after the price drop (there ended up being a $200 price difference). the two drives look slightly different, but they both are 160g x25m's, so i was just curious as to what is the difference between the two. i suppose if they function the same, it's no big deal.....

it's odd because the newegg ordered drive did not come in a box, but just in the plastic sleeve while the owc ordered one cam in an intel box. newegg doesn't seem like a ghetto operation, but i don't understand how they can be $200 cheaper than owc without something fishy going on.

any comments....

6. bugout macrumors 6502a

Nothing fishy going on at newegg. Intel issued price drops and put them into effect immediately. It takes a smaller shop like OWC a little while to play catch up.

Newegg is probably the most reputable place in the internet to buy stuff. They have stellar customer service as well.

7. ras61l thread starter macrumors newbie

i didn't intend to besmirch newegg's reputation here. the drive that i received from newegg was not in a box, but rather, it was just placed in a padded envelope and shipped to me. moreover, the model number that is on the drive does not match up to what was advertised on the website, gn vs c5, respectively. they may just be the same drive but just separate batches, etc. it was just odd to me that it did not come in a box, looks slightly different than the one i received from owc, and did not have the same model number than what was advertised on newegg's website. i was just curious if people thought they were different drives, or something that i am not aware of.

8. striatedglutes macrumors 6502

This is called "OEM" or "white box", and is very common. Places like newegg are able to sell cheap because they buy in bulk without all the extra fluff of boxes/manuals/etc. Every hard drive I've ever owned I've bought as OEM/white box and have not had any issues at all.

9. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

You got the bulk version, which is no different then the individual version. With HDDs it's bad to get a bulk version if you order more than one since you may end up with a bad batch, but with SSDs, that's unlikely to happen since there are no platters or spindles to worry about.

10. MikhailT macrumors 601

Umm, that makes no sense. SSD can be affected with bad firmware, damaged ICs and so on. There's no immunity for manufacturing mishaps. Just need a good quality control process and even that can't be 100% and not everybody follows a strict quality control.

Also, you just said there is no difference between OEM/Retail versions and now you contradict yourself in the next line.