Intel X25m slow boot time

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by waffles123, May 22, 2010.

1. waffles123 macrumors regular

Hey, I just got my Intel X25m 160gb, and it's really fast, except for the boot time. It takes 30 to 32 seconds to boot each time. I searched around and I did what everyone else did to fix boot times, and I've had no luck. When I got it, I formatted it to Mac OS Extended (Journal), and made sure it was the startup disk in System Preferences. (here's a picture: [​IMG]) Once the white screen with the apple logo comes up, it takes 10 seconds to boot into OSX. Any suggestions to decrease the boot time? Thanks

2. celticpride678

3. waffles123 thread starter macrumors regular

Now it's at 28 seconds. Any more ideas?

Thanks

4. Gorilla Power macrumors 6502

Gorilla Power

5. waffles123 thread starter macrumors regular

All I have is Dropbox and Jitouch as login items.

6. Siriosys macrumors regular

Siriosys

Try removing both those Login items, just to see if they're having any impact at all.

Also, do you have any external devices connected to either the Firewire or USB ports?

7. gianly1985 macrumors 6502a

gianly1985

Did you do a fresh install of OSX or you used CarbonCopyCloner to clone your old system?

I noticed CCC clonining creates a slow booting system on SSDs.

8. johnnymg macrumors 65816

johnnymg

I have experienced the same slowness when booting from a CCC cloned SSD. A simple "reinstall" of OSX fixed the boot speed. Went from ~40 sec to 16 sec on my 13" MBP after a simple reinstall of OSX. The reinstall didn't affect any apps or docs.

9. henry72 macrumors 65816

henry72

I guess you just installed OS X in your new SSD drive.
    It will be slow after you do a re-install or install some new software. It will affect the boot up time~ Just give it some times... (I guess OS X need to create some boot up file, whatever you call it

After a while you will notice ;)

ALWAYS Reset the PRAM after you change any hardware :D + check the software update keep it all up-to-date

SSD boot up time in OS X (within 20 sec) is normal :)

PS: from my experience~

10. Jason Beck macrumors 68000

Jason Beck

Once the white screen with the apple logo comes up, it takes 10 seconds to boot into OSX. Any suggestions to decrease the boot time? Thanks

K, so your saying that for the efi to load to the Apple it takes you 20 seconds!
    Thats not good. Thats efi, not your drive. Something could be wrong, I have an x25 in my 08 MB and it takes ... 3 seconds to Apple logo? then 13-15 secs flat to OSX usable.

I have bettertouchtool ad adium onstart too.

11. Jason Beck macrumors 68000

Jason Beck

Make certain you updated to the latest Intel firmware, I in fact noticed a 5-10% speed increase afterwards.
    Do what peeps are saying and zap your pram.
    Use Onyx and repair permissions, delete your caches. Do maintenance.

12. piwi macrumors regular

Do you have an Optibay? Is the SSD in the Optibay or in the original HDD place?

13. johnnymg macrumors 65816

johnnymg

Resetting the PRAM will have no significant impact on boot time. Been there done that. Same for setting the "startup disk".

If you have a slow startup you should re-install OSX.

JohnG

14. waffles123 thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks for all your responses. Before I forget, here's a quick video of it booting: http://dl.dropbox.com/u/879409/IMG_0065.MOV
    Notice how long it takes to make that optical drive sound thing at 8-9 seconds.

Same time.

Nope.

Before I installed, I copied over my important files to an external hd. Then I formatted the SSD and copied over the files from the External HD.

I meant to say the Apple logo with the spinning wheel. From pressing power to the apple logo is about 15-16 seconds. What I did notice is that it consistently takes 4-5 seconds for that optical drive sound (the one that Apple removed when waking from sleep a few months ago).
    Do you mean an "upgrade" and install rather than a format and install?
    Why would that fix it?
    How do I update the firmware? Since I just bought it, wouldn't it have the most recent firmware?

15. johnnymg macrumors 65816

johnnymg

Correct, just install OSX. This will NOT disturb your current apps/docs.

I do NOT know why that fixed my slow boot. It may not fix yours but it fixed mine and I tried the other "fixes".

It takes almost as much time re-installing OSX as it does reading the posts in this thread. :p

cheers
    JohnG

16. piwi macrumors regular

17. swish2351 macrumors 6502

That's because it isn't "in-sync" fully with the rest of your computer because it wasn't one of the options Apple sold. It is also HUGE and very powerful, which also can cause that, probably because of how powerful it it though.

18. tenderidol macrumors regular

tenderidol

That's slow booting indeed. It looks like it's booting from an HDD. I have a 160GB X25-G2 and it takes less than 10 seconds to get to the desktop

When you said you "formatted" the drive, can you be more specific about the steps you've taken from the beginning? Did you install your fresh SSD into your computer, dropped in your OSX installation disk and installed Snow Leopard, and transferred your personal files from the external hard drive? If we know how the installation was done, we may help better.

19. waffles123 thread starter macrumors regular

First, I copied over my important documents to an external hard drive. Then, I took the old hard drive out and put in the Intel. I put in Snow Leopard and pressed C, to boot from the CD. From the CD, I opened Disk Utility, selected the drive, and formatted it in Mac OS Extended Journal. Then, I told it to install Snow Leopard on it. When it was done, I copied my important documents and downloaded the necessary updates.

20. Jason Beck macrumors 68000

Jason Beck

I would probably really update that firmware and do a clean install of OSX.
    Just because its new doesn't mean you have the latest. I just got mine 2-3 months ago and it didn't. Drives could have been packaged and everything long before the firmware update. It's a painless check anyways just burn the firmware to a CDROM following the instructions and boot from it. It will update just fine, or not depending on if you need it.

Then clean install OSX and all your stuff.

21. henry72 macrumors 65816

henry72

22. waffles123 thread starter macrumors regular

Updating firmware and pram (again) didn't work. I guess I'm going to go and reinstall SL. Wish me good luck :)

EDIT: 2 or 3 seconds LONGER. :mad:

I mean, my drive feels really fast when I'm using it. Maybe it's just the bootup issue thats slow. It got a 290 on XBench if that means anything.

23. sukanas macrumors 6502a

sukanas

my efi is pretty slow too, but not bad as 20 seconds but mine is 6/7 seconds..
    anyone know how to fix it?!

24. Jason Beck macrumors 68000

Jason Beck

Yah that is insanely odd. I would try and absolute fresh install and new firmware. 290 is a good score for that drive. I have usually 230 on mine, but the 160 is a bit faster than the 80gb one. Hrmmm.. thats wierd, it's late for me.. but maybe try googling for an answer? "Long EFI on OSX or Macbook?" or something like that.

If any of you find anything out post it.

25. Pressure macrumors 68040

Pressure