Intel Xeon E5462 2.8 GHz stepping in Mac Pro 2008

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by Spacedust, Mar 12, 2010.

1. Spacedust macrumors 6502a

Which is default installed by Apple ?

I got SLBBN (Halogen free).

2. hyram macrumors regular

Space,

First I assume you mean E5462 as there is no X5462, and SLBBN alligns with this.

But now to your question... I don't "know" the answer but I can safely say that the E5462 is not it. The CPUID for the SLBBN is 1067Ah, and the mp3,1 EFI does not incude this in the microcode section. I'm not sure that this really matters as we've seen cases of people reporting processors working on mp1,1 machines that arn't supported with a microcode update. The X5355 SLAEG is a good example. Do let us know how this works for you.

Once you've got it running, you can check the microcode update using:
    http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?p=8974379&highlight=microcode#post8974379
    Check out lbodnar's post #163.

And one more thing... how's the repair of your maching comming along?

3. Spacedust thread starter macrumors 6502a

Yes. Mine are E5462 SLBBN. Sorry for mistake.

Repair is still not going on :/

It's not RAM nor riser cards. They said it's an issue between procesor and RAM.

I was guessing that maybe Apple is using SLANT series, so the logic board might not support my CPU's.

I will have news next week on tuesday.

4. hyram macrumors regular

They will most likely work. They just won't run with the latest microcode.

In the post I linked to above, lbodnar has a way to force a microcode update for processors that don't have the proper update in the firmware. I'd give that a try before I gave up. But I'm betting it will run without an update all together.