Intelligently Partitioning a 1 TB My Book Pro II

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by luke15rl, Jan 30, 2008.

1. luke15rl macrumors newbie

Hi,

I am looking for advice on how best to partition and format a 1 TB external HD. My machine is an eMac G4 that currently uses 10.3, but will be upgraded to 10.5 once I install a superdrive that can mount the Leopard installation disk. The internal HD is only 40 GB, and I have an additional My Book external that houses 250 GB (strictly for music and TV media backup). My goals are as follows:

1. I would like to efficiently operate both Final Cut and Pro Tools (or Logic) on the system and to store the creative output from these programs on within one partition on the 1 TB external. My primary questions for this goal are: How much of the drive should I devote to this cause? and Should I format with journaling (for Mac OS Extended) or without (and why if you don't mind)?

2. I would like to store vast quantities of media files, including music, TV, and feature-length films on a second drive partition. How much space should I devote to this goal, especially in relation to the first goal? Again, journaling or no journaling?

3. I would like my system to run as quickly and efficiently as possible, so I would like one partition to serve as an extension of the bootable drive. Again, how much space should I devote and should I format with or without journaling?

On a somewhat unrelated issue, can anyone tell me how best to convert AVI and other PC-type file extensions to ITunes compatible files?

2. luke15rl thread starter macrumors newbie

I realize a response to this thread might seem very demanding, but I honestly would appreciate any kind of feedback, and I certainly don't expect anyone to provide an in-depth answer to every issue. Thanks.